Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tape on blades

Tape on blades

I know a lot of you guys tape your blades while working on them for handles or polishing spines etc... Is there any tape that reacts adversely with carbon steel? Specifically, if I use a blue painters tape and leave it on a blade for a week while I work on it, am I going to regret it when I take the tape off?

I've never noticed that, and I've had many a carbon blade wrapped up for months months in blue painters tape while I slowly bur surely work on it.

wrap it with paper first and then tape the hell out of it. no contact, no problem.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    wrap it with paper first and then tape the hell out of it. no contact, no problem.

I have had issues where tan masking tape leaves a slight patina where it contacts the blade. I wrap everything with blue paper towels before i tape it up now.

Maybe this is the gateway to a new type of forced patina?!

Marko told me the following after I sent him a few knives secured with blue painter's tape:

"If you use blue masking tape and leave it on for say overnight, the tape sometimes leaves residue that can react with steel - I messed up my Watanabe this way. I find camellia oil very effective to clean the blade right after the masking tape was used. Same after I use alcohol to clean epoxy if it gets on the blade. Camelia removes any discolorations and restores steel to pristine look. In short, good stuff to have on hand."

Some people had issues with the Green tape, maybe like frog tape or something?? It messed up some blades when left for a while. I leave blue tape on mine a lot w/o any issues.

No problems with blue tape here.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I use blue tape too and haven't had any problems but I know as soon as I typed that out I'm in for a surprise.