Tape on blades

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalaeb

Banned
Reaction score
I know a lot of you guys tape your blades while working on them for handles or polishing spines etc... Is there any tape that reacts adversely with carbon steel? Specifically, if I use a blue painters tape and leave it on a blade for a week while I work on it, am I going to regret it when I take the tape off?

I've never noticed that, and I've had many a carbon blade wrapped up for months months in blue painters tape while I slowly bur surely work on it. :)

wrap it with paper first and then tape the hell out of it. no contact, no problem.

I have had issues where tan masking tape leaves a slight patina where it contacts the blade. I wrap everything with blue paper towels before i tape it up now.

Marko told me the following after I sent him a few knives secured with blue painter's tape:

"If you use blue masking tape and leave it on for say overnight, the tape sometimes leaves residue that can react with steel - I messed up my Watanabe this way. I find camellia oil very effective to clean the blade right after the masking tape was used. Same after I use alcohol to clean epoxy if it gets on the blade. Camelia removes any discolorations and restores steel to pristine look. In short, good stuff to have on hand."

Some people had issues with the Green tape, maybe like frog tape or something?? It messed up some blades when left for a while. I leave blue tape on mine a lot w/o any issues.

I use blue tape too and haven't had any problems but I know as soon as I typed that out I'm in for a surprise.

I haven't had issues with any color of painters' tape. I have had to work a little more to get other adhesive residues off but no reactions to speak of, so far. I wonder if some of this is due to water, etc getting trapped under there from fingers or even just the weather.

I have never had any problem with blue masking tape. i have been known to use duct tape when I am doing handle work, but that can be messy. WD 40 cures all gummy tape related ills, by the way.

I have had issues with tape on freshly etched dammy and 52100 when the tape got wet(da!)

I know a lot of you guys tape your blades while working on them for handles or polishing spines etc... Is there any tape that reacts adversely with carbon steel? Specifically, if I use a blue painters tape and leave it on a blade for a week while I work on it, am I going to regret it when I take the tape off?

One of my Watanabe knives developed light rust from being left in a blue painter tape (3M) for a couple of days. My guess is some cladding are more reactive than others.

M

I use blue tape too and haven't had any problems but I know as soon as I typed that out I'm in for a surprise.

yep, just don't leave the tape in place for long and you'll be fine.

I wrap with paper and then tape. which is nice because it slides on and off so it's really just a temporary saya

Latest posts

Back