New'ish

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moodymann

Reaction score
Hi

I have posted before in another section but never here. So without further delay, hello!

My topic of interest at the moment is sharpening, I am awaiting a Heiji Carbon Gyuto and still need to get the right tools to sharpen. So I'm currently looking for my first decent stone to sharpen my new Heiji. Any tips? Also, has anybody heard what it's like ootb?

Thanks

Moodymann

Welcome-ish? :) You've got 10 posts under your belt already, but in case you haven't already made yourself comfortable - welcome welcome! ;)

I can't really comment on the Heijis but if you are looking for a starter stone set, I'd go for the King 1000/6000, you can get it here, it only costs about £30. That should start you off pretty nicely

Welcome to KKF, a king 1k 6k is a good place to start, if you haven't sharpened before I'd recommend jbroida of Japanese Knife Imports video series on YouTube.

King works. My favorites are Gesshin but I also like Chosera and recently, Sigma Select II 1.2 k and higher grit is nice, too. As for Heiji OOTB edges. My last Heiji was a bit on the delicate side. I'd put a microbevel on it right away with a few light passes on a finishing stone. If you're getting it from Jon, you might just ask him to take a min and do it for you prior to shipping.

I can't really comment on the Heijis but if you are looking for a starter stone set, I'd go for the King 1000/6000, you can get it here, it only costs about £30. That should start you off pretty nicely

Thanks for your input, I'll keep that in mind.

If you want to upgrade from the King stones, there aren't a whole lot of choices here if you don't want to order from Japan/US. Axminster has some Besters which look ok, or you could get Choseras or something like that from Deiter Schmid in Germany which is fairly cheap and shipping is usually quick. I'd stick with the Kings for a while though if I were you

I'm in London and have a few stones-chosera, beston, shapton, king etc.. if you want to try any out?

I'm grabbing a Gesshin 400 for a low grit very soon. Seems to be a local fav.

As for Heiji OOTB edges. My last Heiji was a bit on the delicate side. I'd put a microbevel on it right away with a few light passes on a finishing stone. If you're getting it from Jon, you might just ask him to take a min and do it for you prior to shipping.

I forgot to say, I'm getting it direct from Heiji. So I could ask him. Eager to find out what it will be like as I left the decision on what finish up to him and his personal taste. So it's a surprise.

If you want to upgrade from the King stones, there aren't a whole lot of choices here if you don't want to order from Japan/US. Axminster has some Besters which look ok, or you could get Choseras or something like that from Deiter Schmid in Germany which is fairly cheap and shipping is usually quick. I'd stick with the Kings for a while though if I were you

I forgot that I might not get a great selection of stones in the UK. I really need to do my homework on stones, then I'll no doubt start another post. Thanks for the advice.

I'm in London and have a few stones-chosera, beston, shapton, king etc.. if you want to try any out?

Thanks for the offer, I haven't done a lot of reading up yet or looked at prices. If I find myself in the market for one of those stone I might hit you up.

Back