Quantcast
salt
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: salt

salt

OK, guys, I'm gonna rant a little and fill you all in on one of my favorite things that I attribute my GooD FooD to - Celtic Sea Salt.
    The brand I use is f/ Selina Naturally. You can buy it most health food stores, Whole foods, etc. The website sells it cheapest, and in larger quantities, but they charge quite a bit for shipping. It can be found on Amazon w/ free shipping.

What do I like about it? Well, besides the supposed health benefits, it just plain tastes good! I've been using some sort of sea salt for, like forever, as I can't stand Kosher salt. I know, I know, everyone raves about Kosher salt and how flaky it is, and blah blah blah. Can't stand it - it tastes acrid and sour to me, and that taste is imparted to food. Celtic Sea Salt has a pure, clean, almost sweet flavor, and it enhances the flavor of food dramatically without added any salty tones or other weird flavors - provided you don't use too much.

One caveat - unless you spend the extra bucks for the fine ground stuff, it's really really coarse (and it's wet). Too coarse to be useful if I'm honest. So what then? I use a mortar and pestle and grind small batches to the size I want, and keep the ground salt in a covered sugar bowl nest to the pepper mill and olive oil bottles.

About the only thing I use Kosher salt for is boiling water for pasta or brines, as the CSS is too expensive for my blood to wash down the drain. For everything else, it's only CSS. Can be used to sprinkle on a protein destined for a grill or pan, used as a seasoning in a sauté, or as a finishing salt on fruit such as melons or strawberries w/ balsamic syrup. Hope you find this useful and try it out for yourselves! Cheers! mpp
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Sea salt is always better (in my book) than most other salt. The flavor profile is changed by regions. I have not tried this one myself, but it sounds good.

One thing I wouldn't switch from Kosher to sea would be margaritas. I can't stand Tequila so its not a problem.

I have been using Celtic Sea Salt a fair amount recently, good stuff. I also like to use Japanese sea salt, Himalayan pink and some others. A good sea salt can definitely elevate a dish.

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    One thing I wouldn't switch from Kosher to sea would be margaritas. I can't stand Tequila so its not a problem.
    Can't decide if that deserves a or a .

I use alot of Hawaiian red salt They also have a coarse white which I get mostly because it's local, good for pasta water, sauces etc. - just a little coarser than the standard kosher salt. Just ran out of fleur de sel recently. In Europe I was using a lot of a greyish, wet French sea salt, from the Bretagne IIRC. Oh, there was also an English flaky salt that I liked but haven't seen in a while - Maldon? (sp?). I also wanted to eventually make a few seasoned/scented salts like truffle salt etc. Any other ideas for such scented salts? (not sure what else to call them).

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    In Europe I was using a lot of a greyish, wet French sea salt, from the Bretagne IIRC. Oh, there was also an English flaky salt that I liked but haven't seen in a while - Maldon? (sp?).
    Stefan
    These are the 2 that I use for everything

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    Can't decide if that deserves a or a .
    Ok you asked, so here it goes. when I was about 25 I was seeing a stripper, that loved tequila. Long story short. 3 days of Tequila, and 3 days of being sick I still have a hard time even smelling it. Talk about having a hard time bar tending...

Haha everyone has a death drink, I still can't go near jd or pastis

I go for Whiskey, and I like it the way I like my girls.
    18 years old and mixed with coke :P

I want to get some fleur de sel salt to make some domino potatoes.