knife noob ! google led me here.!!!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedips

Reaction score
hi everyone... i just finished school and moved into my first place!! yay! everyone was so kind in helping me get some goodies for my first place... i told everyone my intention was just to buy everything once! as a gift i got some pretty neat cutlery I've never heard of or seen before... had to google it!! :O pretty much this knife forum popped up as soon as i was done googling about what the heck i got as a gift

ended up reading a pretty cool story about bob kramer and some knives... so pretty excited to see that i got some somewhat better knives than the ikea set i was using in my dorm!

i will say that these guys are probably way more knife than I'm ever going to need. but i guess its time to start learning how to properly care for this!!! I'm even scared to break them out of the box to use !

ended up getting a mixed kramer set of shun and zwilling.

28iqp38.jpg

yup, definitely an interesting jump into the knife world. Don't be worried about it. These knives are made to cook delicious things. Go forth and make tasty food.

yup, definitely an interesting jump into the knife world. Don't be worried about it. These knives are made to cook delicious things. Go forth and make tasty food.

thanks! well now I'm kinda freaking out cuz I'm just found out how much this stuff costs... id hate to be that guy who just ruins a perfectly fine set of knives. due to mishandling/etc.... don't even get me started on honing steels and sharpening stones :eek2:?

Knives are just tools. You're going to screw them up a bit. It happens, but in the long run if you treat them well; keep them dry, keep them sharp, you'll have a friend in the kitchen when you're trying out new things in the kitchen.

first of all welcome. I wish I had friends that would give such gifts as those. They are def. something to get excited about and even more into cooking. Nothing like cutting with a good sharp blade to make you start cooking more. enjoy.

Welcome and congrats on the knives. Not sure if you have read this already but the zwillings are carbon steel so just remember to wipe after use, and don't worry about the patina that will develop, patina is your friend :D
+1 on a wood chopping board, and no dishwasher please....

Any questions ask away, there are lots of knowledgable people here

As someone who was out of school for a long time before getting some good knives, you are truly blessed to be starting off that way. Welcome aboard and hopefully this will lead you into more of our addiction.

Welcome and congrats on the nice new knives! Big +1 on getting a nice wood cutting board to keep them (and you!) happy in the kitchen :)

Welcome to the Knut House!
You are off to an excellent start, now learn and enjoy!

Welcome! Don't be afraid of using your knives. There is little you can do to really ruin them.

thanks everyone!!! i had some extra sur la table gift cards and picked up a boos block on sale! very excited... my parents always had one so I've learned to keep it properly maintained. i don't have any type of honing steel yet... the person recommended me the KRAMER one of course at the store.. but now I'm reading that ceramic steel is betteR? any recommendations? (MAC Ceramic Black Honing Rod #SRB-84) i really like this one ? not sure if this is good for my knives?

Back