Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NKD ( Dave's SabRestomod awesomeness )

NKD ( Dave's SabRestomod awesomeness )

Dave posted plenty of pics of this beauty so I Don't have much to add there. The handle is beautifuly finished, everything is rounded/ polished. Not much to say, but wow.

The package was well packed, loaded with those annoying packing peanuts.

I used the nearest thing I could grab on to, to tear into this thing. Pretty sure it was a screwdriver to bust into the tape then rip away like a kid on christmas. Inside what I found I didn't expect... a nice soft case for shipping/ storage. Pretty sweet. =)

A grainy iPhone picture of the handle( can be seen in better quality on Dave's original post )

Something that I wanted to share that is a bit lost in daves pics is how beautifully tapered the handle is. I requested that the handle be tapered out a bit toward the but end of the handle because stock Sabatier handle feel skinny to me, and that is exactly what I got. It feels d@mn near perfect.

Another thing to note, for anyone that hasn't seen a well ground Sabatier is the distal taper on these things. It starts somewhere in the 4-5mm range right in front of the bolster( feels great to have something to grab onto with a pinch grip ) and rapidly tapers down to somewhere around 2mm and continues tapering to the tip. With the thinning/ regrinding that Dave bestowed on this beauty the distal taper near the tip has been improved to where the tip is whispy thin, much like the suisin/ konosuke gyutos that I've used.

I love the way he used the wood grain at the butt end of the handle.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Looks Great.

Im so envious

Absolute awesomeness! Great call to get Dave to work on the knife. I'm sure you're going to inspire a trend.

I missed the thread showing more of this knife and I couldn't find it with a search. I'd really appreciate a link. Thanks.
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by deanb View Post
    I missed the thread showing more of this knife and I couldn't find it with a search. I'd really appreciate a link. Thanks.
    Here you go:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...abatier-Refurb

The best redone sabatier i ever seen and a nice touch the case .
    A clever cook can make good meat of a whetstone.” Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    Thanks Johnny. That's absolutely beautiful. Dave, you're an artist.
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.