New profile, 240 mm Carbon Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PierreRodrigue

Reaction score
This is a new steel I am trying, it is a high carbon steel, at HRC 64.5, Transitional grind. Convex lower, and slight hollow upper blade.

It has a G10 ferrule, stainless and mammoth tooth spacer

African black wood handle, wood from Mark at Burl Source. This stuff polishes up like glass!

Keep in mind, this is pre sharpening and pre glue up.

Thanks for looking, and comments welcome!

IMG_4267.jpgIMG_4272.jpgIMG_4268.jpgIMG_4269.jpgIMG_4271.jpgIMG_4270.jpgIMG_4264.jpgIMG_4265.jpg

Thats amazing. Very well put together. I love the mammoth tooth spacer. The profile looks great. I would be very happy to usevthat knife.

Is the carbon steel a tool steel or something more along the lines of hitachi white ?

That looks like a good match for my suji, send it down here so I can make sure!

Good looking knife, is the profile inspired by the Masamoto KS?

Very slick, Pierre. The mammoth tooth livens up the handle. The profile does look very KS like to me.

Salty is the inspiration, design, and motivation behind this one. I have been chatting back and forth on this on for a while.

The steel is a particle metallurgy steel. Very abrasion resistant.

Love what you did with the material on the Ferrule. Those kinds of small adjustments really make a knife pop.

Whoever ends up with this knife, I expect in depth sharing of this grind!
:bat:

That, appears to be a very special knife...

It's hard to tell if it's just the pic but you've managed to make the Salty flat tip look very nice. I can't wait to hear about its performance. Is it stainless?

No, it is a new carbon I'm trying, particle steel, at HRC 64.5

Thanks for the great comments you guys! I appreciate it!

Profile is interesting. Looks a little like a KS but is taller which is a good thing in my opinion

Great knife, Pierre! It looks as close to perfect as I've seen. It's good to see a Salty knife come to fruition.

I refer to the profile as "tactics" and the grind and geometry as "logistics". All good Generals know logistics wins wars.

Looks really cool Pierre. Very similar to the profile that I've got drawn out for a custom I'm getting.

Whats the height at the heel?
Sorry! Missed this post!

Height at the heel is 51 mm. Cutting edge is 247 mm. Spine is 2 mm, full distal taper. If you pinch the blade lightly with thumb and index finger, and run them from spine to edge, you can feel the fall and rise in the transition grind. This blade steel is to date, the the hardest hardened steel I have worked. The finish is never going to be mirror, or anything close!

I refer to the profile as "tactics" and the grind and geometry as "logistics". All good Generals know logistics wins wars.

You gotta admit though, when it isn't wartime, and you're just doing a little police action, and resources are ample, great tactics sure make life pretty good.

Pierre, that is one very good looking knife, and from what i can see of the geometry, should be a damn good cutter.

Is this baby done???? Is it out being tested??

Not quite! Its pissin' me off! Trying to get a better finish, but its so bloody hard and abrasion resistant!

Back