Thread: Forge,Anvil,Vise,Drill etc

Forge,Anvil,Vise,Drill etc

For a man's job.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

sorry some of the text was cut .
    A clever cook can make good meat of a whetstone.” Erasmus

Isn't it a bit pointless to put an anvil on what is basically a steel workmate?

The language is cracking me up. "etc", "putter around" "making good a full 100 per cent"

It's fun for the whole family. I like the coal forge
    A clever cook can make good meat of a whetstone.” Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    Isn't it a bit pointless to put an anvil on what is basically a steel workmate?

The language is cracking me up. "etc", "putter around" "making good a full 100 per cent"

Actually these are VERY useable setups for someone who needed to travel with tools on horseback or carriage.

you can do a lot on these teeny anvils if your patient.

but a full time blacksmith would want significantly more substantial tools

But isn't the effect of the mass of the anvil providing a solid work surface ruined by putting it on(comparatively) springy legs?

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    But isn't the effect of the mass of the anvil providing a solid work surface ruined by putting it on(comparatively) springy legs?
    it's not ruined but CERTAINLY compromised

I wouldn't mind doing some light ornamental work or tweek some horseshoes with a setup like this, but for any serious forging I want a couple hundred pound anvil chained to a solid wood stump

the "accepted wisdom" for anvil size is 8 to 10 times your hammer weight,

I do most of my forging with a 4Lb hammer so would need a 400Lb anvil. I use a 200Lb post anvil which is roughly equivalent to a 4/500Lb English pattern because all of the mass is directly below the work piece.
    I can feel a distinct difference in efficiency when I use my 200Lb standard anvil.