Forge,Anvil,Vise,Drill etc

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steeley

GoogleFu San
Founding Member
Reaction score
For a man's job.

aUL7F.png
[/IMG]

o1aQe.png
[/IMG]

sorry some of the text was cut .

Isn't it a bit pointless to put an anvil on what is basically a steel workmate?

The language is cracking me up. "etc", "putter around" "making good a full 100 per cent"

It's fun for the whole family. I like the coal forge

Isn't it a bit pointless to put an anvil on what is basically a steel workmate?

The language is cracking me up. "etc", "putter around" "making good a full 100 per cent"

Actually these are VERY useable setups for someone who needed to travel with tools on horseback or carriage.

you can do a lot on these teeny anvils if your patient.

but a full time blacksmith would want significantly more substantial tools

:viking::biggrin::viking:

But isn't the effect of the mass of the anvil providing a solid work surface ruined by putting it on(comparatively) springy legs?

But isn't the effect of the mass of the anvil providing a solid work surface ruined by putting it on(comparatively) springy legs?

it's not ruined but CERTAINLY compromised

I wouldn't mind doing some light ornamental work or tweek some horseshoes with a setup like this, but for any serious forging I want a couple hundred pound anvil chained to a solid wood stump

the "accepted wisdom" for anvil size is 8 to 10 times your hammer weight,

I do most of my forging with a 4Lb hammer so would need a 400Lb anvil. I use a 200Lb post anvil which is roughly equivalent to a 4/500Lb English pattern because all of the mass is directly below the work piece.
I can feel a distinct difference in efficiency when I use my 200Lb standard anvil.

Back