Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Woman's self defense courses?

Woman's self defense courses?

I'm looking for a good self-defense course for my 24 year-old daughter who lives in Philly and is moving to New York in July. She's lived in town for six years but her room mate just got mugged at their doorstep. When she started college, I gave her some mace. There are dozens of google ads for these courses, but does anyone know what I should be looking for?

She's a slip of a girl and I'm not adverse to getting her a gun, along with lessons. We've never had a weapon in our home so she may refuse. If she has one, she'd better be prepared to use it. Same with self defense training.

Mods, wrong room, please post in off-topic. Thanks
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain

femaleawareness.com alot of my female friends take this course and it is taught by women. No guns in NYC if that is where she is moving too, she will be arrested if caught. carry a pen or sharpie in her hands at all time makes an excellent weapon or a rolled up magazine. jab an run.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

She's moving to Brooklyn and working in Manhattan, so I'm glad firearms are out. The site looks good. No hyperbole or scare tactics and good feedback from former participants. The owner, Gabi, looks like she can handle herself anywhere.

I sent my daughter the info and will see what she thinks.

Son, my sister is on E. 95th and when my daughter moves I'll be in the area more often. I'll take you to lunch some time.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain

Depending on what she is interested in "Krav Maga" is an absolutely amazing self-defence tool. Used primarily by the israeli army. Its taught as a self-defence that can handle knives/guns/hand-to-hand combat. Its also one hell of a fitness class to be a part of. Will really help you keep in shape.

Its more intense then your everyday self-defence course but the training and knowledge gained will also be increased.

Edit: Also why I say this and not an everyday self-defence course (i.e a 1 day course) if any of you have ever been in a fight/flight situation - what you learn in those few hours flies out the window. You really have to practice in order to be prepared for the situation.

If you want to take Krav Maga courses have her go to the Jewish Community Center on 76th and Amsterdam and sign up for classes, they have some of the best instructors in the world and you don't have to be Jewish to join. tell em chef son sent her.

Quote Originally Posted by mano View Post
    She's moving to Brooklyn and working in Manhattan, so I'm glad firearms are out. The site looks good. No hyperbole or scare tactics and good feedback from former participants. The owner, Gabi, looks like she can handle herself anywhere.

I sent my daughter the info and will see what she thinks.

Son, my sister is on E. 95th and when my daughter moves I'll be in the area more often. I'll take you to lunch some time.
    sounds great

I used to teach some of these courses. Joining a martial arts club is a decent option but the most useful techniques are pretty simple, extremely effective and rely on surprise, i.e. Play like you're gonna go down easy and then hit 'em hard where it hurts (eyes, groin, throat are generally preferred) and you're good. I'd find an instructor and a friend to practice with and pay some good money for a few private lessons. The rest is just practicing.

I believe in "situational awareness". An ounce of prevention. The last thing you want to do is get into a physical confrontation with an attacker. However, I believe you should be equipped if it comes down to that. My daughter is also 24 and living in the University area where coeds and suburban boys get preyed on. I've taught her everything I know. I've been involved in several "self defense" genres. The most useful is being aware of your surroundings, preach prevention and how not to paint a target on your back. I have found LEOs who teach these types of classes do a very good job. They have a more practical view of things.

I also know for a fact that young folks who live in urban areas sometimes tend to stay out late and get drunk. Easy prey. My first lesson was how to deal with that.