Quantcast
Woman's self defense courses? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Woman's self defense courses?

Hair spray and a cig lighter! great concept!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I work Security at a University in CT and some of my co workers teach RAD and the students/faculty/staff like it. I am a SAM (student aggression management) instructor, which is based out of MOAB (management of aggressive behavior). All of the classes teach awareness and avoiding an issue as the first thing, but then teach what to do when that doesn't work. I want to go thru the LOCKUP training as well, more of a hands on course with more options in how to achieve your goal.

Check the local rules/laws about pepper spray, tasers, etc like has been mentioned. It would be a good idea to send to her a gun safety class; I know she can't carry, but if she is confronted with a gun, she will know a bit more about it and may not feel as scared. I go to a few local ranges and from the targets I have seen, I wouldn't be too scared if most of those guys drew down on me!

How about a shotgun? Carrying one of those over your shoulder would make a good deterrent!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Another thing to tell her about is called "Apple Picking", very popular in NY. Basically some scumbag walks past someone on their phone, grabs the phone and takes off running with it. Other people grab a phone or tablet while the person is sitting on the subway while the doors are closing (one will hold the closing doors, the other grabs the item and runs, first lets go of doors so you can't chase them. The white ear bud head phones are a dead give away and make people targets. Use the phone/tablet/laptop as little as possible in public and don't advertise that you have it. Download tracking software to all of your items like that!!!!

Removed
    "Into a country where the jails are full, and the mad houses closed." - Charles Bukowski

Agree situational awareness being street smart not doing activities that make you a target.I small woman even with some martial training,with contact things could go bad quickly.

I don't know of any good classes but a police officer friend of mine told me that if someone tries to kidnap you even at gun point, do everything and anything you can to get away. Usually a kidnapper will not risk shooting someone in public but if they get you in their car, you will more than likely be killed at a secondary location.

Carry mace on your keychain and one inside your bag or on your person in case you drop your keys. Use a pen or pencil as a weapon. I actually carry a fork in my purse. It's not considered a weapon but I can stab someone in the throat or eye with it. Also, a lot of people don't know this but tail lights on newer cars can be pushed out from inside and there's often a safety latch inside to open the trunk.