El Pescador - Bright Idea or Crazy?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
I am not sure if it was a good idea to put my real name and phone number in my signature line here at the forums. Doing that makes it possible for crazy people to call me on the phone.

El Pescador from the forum here called me on the phone.
He had a bright idea that he wanted to tell me about.
This might not be exactly what he said but it gives you the general idea.

He said, "You live in Southern Oregon where all the hippies are at, and they tie dye everything. So how about tie dyed wood?"
Well, it was an idea that was just strange enough that I thought I would see what I could come up with.

Here are a couple blocks from the first batches. Black for the conservatives like Salty, and multicolor blue for the more adventurous types.

001-3.jpg

So what do you think?
Is El Pescador one of those crazy people?
Or did he have a good idea?
Me.....I'm on the fence. Could go either way.

So what do you think?

As my dad would say, 'you're living under the tyranny of the or.' He's both! :D

lol. not sure if liking ty die is crazy. I can see how using these over many other things out there. I can see someone wanting similar for a customer, or themselves. Maybe just living in Oregon causes people to be "crazy"

Wait a second,
I'm the one in Oregon, not Pesky!

I am just teasing about El Pescador.
He is a friend and has come up with some good ideas.

I also like both... The tie dye blue actually remind you of a piece I bought off you a while ago with some odd blues and purple type stuff going on... I wouldn't put it on a serious Japanese knife of mine(eventually those will all have redwood and ebony or buffalo horn), but for a nice set of scales on something I see more whimsical I'd like it alot.

Well not crazy... but maybe he's a hippie at heart. :)

The top one was pretty neat but the other piece, a bit too adventurous for me.

Hmm in regards to crazy people. Maybe yes maybe no. For those that remember. The guy that invented pet rock sold quite a few. I guess sales will dictate preferences.

I like the wood but you've got to be more careful who you talk to on the phone. :D

That's what I thought.
I am just teasing Pesky. I hope I don't get in trouble with him joking around like this.
I think he came up with a great idea.
I had come up with similar results in the past by accident. But after talking to him I decided to see what I could come up with when I tried for these results on purpose.

So what do you think?
Me.....I'm on the fence. Could go either way.

Typical error of overgeneralization. I have talked numerous times to Pesky on the phone and he clearly is a crazy person, But that doesn't mean he can't have a good idea occasionally ;)

I like them both, the funky one definitely is not for everyone but the dying came out really great. The black one I would buy, that would look really nice. Is that maple burl? Hard to tell with the distracting colors...

Stefan

Yes, it is Maple Burl.
I found that when there are red/orange areas in the wood, those portions resist the dye.
First time it happened I thought ***. But they were some of the first pieces to sell.
Shows you what I know.

This stuff is not dissimilar to the blue silk oak stuff. Pesky is crazy, btw, regardless of whether it was a good idea or not.

Back