New Wood - Need Opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
One of my Koa suppliers in Hawaii sent me some small pieces of Hawaiian Silky Oak as samples of another wood that he thought would be good for handle materials. The coloring was kind of bland and the pieces were under 1" thick so I set the wood aside and forgot about it. A while back I started getting requests from some of my customers who had been buying knife handle blocks and cutting them up to make pens with. One week there were about ten requests so I figured I would get some pen blank sized pieces cut and in the web store. The Silky Oak was the perfect thickness so I cut it up but had it dyed to hopefully make it look better. This is how it turned out. The black stuff looks kind of like carbon fiber to me.

The pen blanks are about 6" long by just over 3/4" square. Would they work with paring knives? or ferrule material?
Do you guys like the look enough that maybe I should get some bigger stuff for regular sized knife handle blocks?
Please let me know what you think.

Not gonna lie, those look terrible to me. One looks burned, the other looks like A Night at the Roxbury.

Gosh, makes me want to get a mini-lathe and start turning pens. I really like 1, 2 and 4 down in the blue.

Not a fan either, let's hope the pen people have a use for them. A bit too small for wa handles IMHO. I tried 7/8" pen blanks but by the time you have sanded them into shape and polished them, they make for really small handles.

Stefan

With the blue ones the pink spots are areas of the wood that had reddish flecks that resisted the dye.
The darker blue ones were more or less colorless areas of the wood.
Those portions have a color change when the light hits from different angles going from blue to purple and some green.

Not my style, but the first/top two blue ones are kind of cool looking. Maybe the dark black piece at the top too.

Black ones remind me of a black and white photo. Others are a little 60s ish to me. Not my taste, but I am sure some will like them.

Definitely not my style but I'm sure there are plenty of folks that would like that stuff. I'd probably pick up a piece or two just for fun.

I like those, especially the solid blue!! They may be a tad small for a ferrule, but it would depend on the handle shape. Paring knives, they may work for rehandling some Western style paring knives as those have fairly narrow handle tangs.

I think you could have a few knife sized ones on stock. All of our tastes are different. I personally like the black ones. The blues ones are unique and someone out there would love them.

People by Itou's... The psychedelic blues and purple may appeal to some, though I've tried pen blanks and they are a bit too small for handles IMO

You guys are nuts, those black ones are awesome.

:curse:

Agreed.

I'd love to see one of those mated to a kuro-uchi or hammer finished blade... don't think shiny would work, imo.

I really like the black stuff. I would invest in a few blocks of it.

I do like the color and figure,it is the size that is an issue.

I will see what I can do about getting some of this big enough for knife handle material.
I put the pen blanks in the store and the weird pink and purple ones sold right away.
Where else are you going to find wood this weird?

I bought some blue dyed wood from you last fall. It must have been some of the experimental stuff -- dark, indigo blue with some gold. The folks who now have the knife love it.

Where else but from the Weird Wood Pusher!

Latest posts

Back