Test knife and present for a customer.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillC

Reaction score
The weather here is dire, Cold winds and rain for weeks on end signalling the start of british summer, or descrnt into winter its hard to tell.
Anyway i thought some knifey stuff would cheer me up.
This funny little knife was a test piece from some test laminate offcut in my simple damascus and 01. Its a tiny chef knife really 125mm blade, 47mm deep, lots of taper very thin at tip and very convex at the heel. I've really enjoyed using it and found it most versatile for a small knife. Its robust enough to deal with chicken yet cuts onion etc with little resistance. So i thought i had better give it to a very nice cudtomer who has waited quite a while for some railings. He has allowed me to get distrscted with knifey stuff along the way so a fitting gift should be a knife.
The wood is an australian wood from Mark. It suprised me as it didnt really show much at all until i buffed it. Its really come up nice.
Thanks all
Will
2012-04-29101251.png

Bad indoor pics i'm afraid but here is a couple more.
2012-04-29101127.png

2012-04-29101027.png

2012-04-29100916.png

2012-04-29101251.png

The Knife size and profile is not a proposition for a pro chef I don't think... or meant to be...... I can imagine his wife using this all the time... But as always its great to hear what you think.:biggrin:

Cute little knife Will. I thought it might be a little deba at first glance...

I'm sure your customer will be surprised and pleased by it.

(I would like to see the railing you were commissioned to make too.)

Will, how can I get on your list for railings that you are too busy to get to? :groucho:

Nice knife -- that is a great gift!

Thought the same thing cute deba looking knife would be fun as a single bevel. Either way it's nice. All your work always is.

Lol thanks Guys, I wouldn't hesitate to use it for Deba duty, that 01 is tough old stuff. The railings, not very interesting i'm afraid. I only took it on because it is an insurance claim and I didn't mind charging them "full wack" for the work. Payed the rent for a while. If it ever stops raining I might get them fitted too. In truth I'm just dying to focus on knives for a bit, maybe some nice arty jobs if they come along.:D

Looking good, I give it less than a month of them using it until they ask you to make them a matching chef knife :D

Very cool little knife. I want one!
The wood is Ringed Gidgee and a Blackwood ferrule, I think.

i love the height to the knife... the thing i tend to hate about short knives is i always want them to be taller. its one of the things i always loved about martells chef knife design. i dont have huge hands but for some reason i just love a bit more height at the heel.

Back