Breakfast and some thoughts on two Kitchen users.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillC

Reaction score
More bad weather outside ramblings....
I've had my 280mm Ks for a while now, which I bought from Vertigo of this parish. Its a great knife in many ways but the bevel on there never really suited me. I put this down to the flatness of the grind. It seemed to me to both wedge and stick. I had planned a re-handle and regrind. That has not really happened, but I tweaked the edge geometry by cutting a shallow bevel into the edge to thin it down, I blended this to give a little more convexity into the edge at least and out my usual small 10 degree per side bevel on the thinned edge. I've been using and re-sharpening occasionally like this for a while. I really enjoy the knife now.......It does not wedge and stick in food and gives much better release....I'm still planning to properly finish and pimp it a little when the time arrises.:D
20120429_095252.jpg

I've also been playing with Tom Takeda this morning....such a great knife. It will go in the box and get sent back tomorrow I promise...:D
I find the forge work on these an art form in its self and fully accept any oddities that that throws up in differences in finish.
I've made Sushi with this knife several times now and I love it for fine slicing, a combination of the great steel and edge holding with that little bevel that falls away into forged hollows really makes it fall through stuff freely. I've not enjoyed it so much for fast push cuts, especially on softer food, I've found it harder to control in this way with my basic techniques. But it is what it is and I certainly want one.:)
Some potato stuff
Takeda, perfect release on a sticky potato.
20120429_095903.jpg

My ks, tends to grab thin slices of potato and release.
20120429_095954.jpg

For mushrooms the ks is so nice for me to use, very controlled for fast push cuts on softer food.
Very different knives....what fun:)

I also find Takeda's knives as art. Nice write-up Thanks

My pleasure, I found this video of some forging at Takeda. I really hoped to see him forging the hollows in...:D But alas it does not show that bit.
Notice the shape of the bottom die of his mechanical hammer, a nice soft radius. I believe the whole shape is drawn under the hammer, then trued by hand, probably on a wooden block or former of some kind. Remarkable piece of forging really.
[video=youtube;X5RKWuZk9X4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5RKWuZk9X4[/video]

That opening scene is what turned me on to the possibilities of flat/disk grinding. The knife I worked on yesterday (stock reduction) was done entirely on the disk grinder after profiling, primary grinding and beveling on the 2 x 72. I have a 240 Moritaka that I really like. Contrary to what many here say, mine has a great bevel. Plus, I love aogami super. Wish I could afford to get some here.

Glad you're enjoying it. How're you finding the edge retention? I think I conveyed the bevels on it but not 100% sure

I find it stays very very sharp, but the edge does seem to form little micro serrations. I say serrations because they are not like chips exactly just like tiny micro ripples. but not folded. A strop quickly straightens it out though and it still feels sharp anyway.
I've been sharpening it too, trying to keep to the bevel. It loves my sigma 13k as a finisher. Its all boxed up now ready to go back. Thanks for the loan its been a great one to get to know.:biggrin:

That's interesting, edge was at a really shallow angle so may be deforming a bit? 13K, it has been spoilt lol
It's going to feel massive compared to my new Fowler, I'd forgotten just how tall it was until I saw it next to your KS...

Back