Have you ever damaged your knife due to temperature or light?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oivind_dahle

Banned
Reaction score
Hi all

As I finally decided how to keep my knives stored; I noticed that there would be some sunlight directly on them.
This made me think about the handle materials. I have several knives of pure horn coming my way, and I don't want to ruin them. I came across this site regarding horn as handle material:

http://www.jayfisher.com/Handles_Knife_Horn_Bone_Ivory.htm#Page_Topics

Some info under Disadvantages/Limitations....

Anyone damaged their handles due to storage in high temperature or light?

I guess it is possible to sunbleach the handles, but I doubt it would be anything significant to notice in a lifetime. As long as you are caring for your knives the way they should be, then it should not be a problem. You are using the knives, right?

If they degenerate just get some more!

Could you get some UV blocking window film if you're worried about it? Also protects art and can keep windows from shattering.

I would never underestimate the sun...

Recently I covered my 3rd floor loft space in tongue and groove raw cedar planks. The space also has several sky lights. Within months the fading of the wood that came in contact with sunlight the most was very noticeable. I now hit it with orange oil about once a month, which really helps.

More so than the fading, I would be worried about drying and shrinking, but that would be completely dependent on material, I suppose.

All my knives are for being used. I have no drawer queens at all :)
I might put up a gallery soon. Im going for a big drawer to store them I think.

In Norway the sun is up almost every day, and north of the polar circle the sun is up 24 hours a day. Normally from start of may to end of july. In southern parts of Norway its still rather sunny in the summer. I let you know what I end up with .)

Could you get some UV blocking window film if you're worried about it? Also protects art and can keep windows from shattering.
Regular glass already filters UV (well not ALL UV but a great part of them).
Sun mostly affect pigments (organic ones mainly) and your blade shouldn't suffer from it.
But if your handle is tainted then it might suffer decoloration.
Direct sun heat (radiation) could also be a problem if you get direct sun on your handle but i doubt the radiation part is strong enough where you live :)

I'd guess that the effects of holding the knife without putting cotton gloves on first, along with regularly washing and drying it and storing in the room of the house that will have bigger fluctuations of temperatureand humidity will have more of an impact than UV for most kitchen knives.

Back