Quantcast
Day off tuna.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day off tuna.

Day off tuna.

As summer nears in south florida I start to get a little antsy. Summer time for me means days off from work, time to enjoy things other than life in the kitchen. One of my favorite things to do during the summer is get out on the boat and catch the kingfish season with my pops. My dad is a retired painter turned commercial fisherman so there are many oppertunities for me to get out there. About 6 miles out off the Jupiter inlet it is about 120 feet deep and just on the outside of a reef that is a feeding area for loads of fish of many varieties. The first fishing day this season was a decent day. The wind was blowing, with the seas from 2-4 ft, we spent all day soaking wet . We boated 7 kingfish with the largest at 26 lbs, 2 sailfish, and a black fin tuna ( I kept this one for myself ). It's a good start to the summer fishing season and i'm excited to see what else we can drag up ( fingers crossed for a wahoo ).

The black fin is a beautiful fish. Black and silver with hues of gold in between.

It's break down time. Big grin =)

Belly side off.

And the top half... easy enough.

All said and done... Teriyaki grilled black fin tuna, sticky rice, and steamed edamame. Simple. Delicious....

Awesome stuff! Looks delicious!

Thanks for the nice post sounds like a great day. Miss the days when this was just a day at the office for me. Can't wait until my kids get a little bigger.

Wow that's a dandy Blackfin! That must be a good 20#. Those bastages are like strapping a line on a ballstic missile. LOL A lot of fight for a fish that size.
    Just booked our Tuna trip for the OBX this year.

Dave

Awesome!

I hate you... only because that looks too awesome!

great post K-Fed, thanks for sharing and that is no doubt, a beautiful tuna.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

much more awesomer
    Awesome!

I really need to learn how to clean and prep fresh whole fish.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Nothin like fresh tuna!!! My first Bluefin Tuna was on the grill within 12hrs of being caught. We have a 4-6hr ride out to the good tuna grounds, so it takes a bit longer! I love seeing fish "lit up" coming to the boat!! Mahi and White Marlin are cool, yellowfin tuna are fun as well. Really cool electric colors, really luminescent. I can't wait until the offshore season gets here!!!! I lost a mega sword last fall; strapped in for an 85 min fight in a tourney only to lose it on the running gear before we could get a harpoon into it One of the guys who saw it put it over 300#, maybe over 400#, ~ 12' long. I'm getting ready to build up a new sword slayer rod to get my revenge! Learned a lot fighting that sucker!!!

Clip of some of the fight:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8R0kAdc5Zg

Wish i knew this when i was in FL....

Would have loved to come along! Looks delicious!

+ Reply to Thread