Introduction

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swimcap

Reaction score
Hi all. New to the forum. And very much ignorant on knives. But Forums have steered me in great directions in the past in other areas:leather jackets, boots...and I would like to purchase a good chef's knife for a friend of mine. Therefore, I plan on reading a bit here and getting a little educated on the topic first. After I am completely over my head in information, I'll probably ask for a few opinions after I learn some of the basics of what I think I might want! I look forward to reading more on these forums. Thanks so much!

I also am very interested in how to sharpen a knife properly and although I have tried to do so on my benchmade folder after watching some you-tube videos, I would like to learn how to become much more proficient at sharpening. So before blowing all kinds of money on stones and systems, etc, I thought I would seek the information from some experts.

Thanks
- SC

Welcome to the deep end - the water's nice ;)

Welcome to the Knut House! Prepare to be inundated!

Welcome the the best OCD's on Earth. These people really know their stuff, they won't steer you wrong!!

Before you know it, you'll be saying "what did I do with my money, time and life before I became addicted???"

Welcome and hold on to you swimcap...errr wallet.

Thank you all. I appreciate the welcome. I have read the article on sharpening. VERY helpful for where I am currently at. Thank you! If I may ask already, I would like to post this..please excuse my complete ignorance on this topic that you are all so passionate about. I am completely open and appreciative to hear your opinions and suggestions. Thank you! - SC

What type of knife(s) do you think you want? 8-INCH CHEF'S KNIFE / ALL-AROUND GENERAL PURPOSE KITCHEN KNIFE AS A GIFT FOR MY GIRLFRIEND WHO DOES NOT HAVE ONE YET. I WOULD LIKE SOMETHING THAT IS NOT READILY FOUND IN THE MAINSTREAM STORES IF POSSIBLE.

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing? FIRST GOOD KITCHEN KNIFE. DONT THINK SHE HAS ANYTHING YET...ITS A GIFT. SHE MENTIONED SHE NEEDS SOME GOOD KNIVES TO PREPARE MEALS. I THOUGHT I WOULD START HER WITH A CHEF'S KNIFE AND THEN GO FROM THERE DEPENDING UPON HOW SHE LIKES IT.

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
Aesthetics- I THINK SHE WOULD LIKE A CLEAN, POLISHED LOOK...BUT REALLY ANYTHING I PURCHASE WILL BE APPRECIATED AS SHE KNOWS HOW MY OCD WILL REQUIRE ME TO GET SOMETHING QUALITY AND NOT THE FIRST BLADE I SEE ON THE WALMART SHELF.
Edge Quality/Retention- SOMETHING FAIRLY EASY TO MAINTAIN WOULD BE NICE, I THINK.
Ease of Use- NOT SURE SHE WOULD USE IT EXTENSIVELY ENOUGH FOR THESE TO BE A FACTOR...
Comfort-

What grip do you use? HAMMER, PRETTY SURE ON THAT.

What kind of cutting motion do you use? NOT SURE.

Where do you store them? I'LL PROBABLY GET HER A MAGNETIC STRIP, OR A AT LEAST A GUARD FOR THE KNIFE SO SHE CAN PUT IT IN A DRAWER.

Have you ever oiled a handle? NO

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use? I'LL GET HER ONE. ANY RECOMMENDATIONS WOULD BE GREAT. SINGLE PERSON COOKING FOR HERSELF MOSTLY.

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing? NOTHING YET. I WILL PURCHASE SOMETHING AND PROBABLY BE THE ONE TO HELP HER SHARPEN WHEN NEED BE.

Have they ever been sharpened? NO

What is your budget? WOULD PREFER ~$300

What do you cook and how often? LOTS OF VEGGIES, CHICKEN, SALAD...SOMETIMES FISH.

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)? ANYTIME THERE'S A MADE IN USA STAMP ON IT, IT MAKES ME PROUD.

I think your girlfriend will be very well served by a 210mm gyuto in stainless steel, semi-stainless, or stainless-clad.

There are a few American makers that you'll want to consider. Devin Thomas makes wonderful knives, but I'm not sure whether his 210s will come in within budget. Murray Carter makes excellent-performing knives in this range, but they won't *look* special if that's an important consideration. If you're willing to bump up in price a little, our own Dave Martell makes some really nice 240s with a monthly payment plan - and I *believe* he'll do maintenance sharpening on them forever as well.

I'm sure many of the others will have a lot to add in for you to think about :)

Oh... try re-posting your query on the main discussion forum. You'll get more eyes on it and more responses there :)

+1 to re-posting in the main forum

I'll let others make suggestions, without buying direct from a maker I'm struggling to think of anything US made I'd recommend

Back