Quantcast
Introduction - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Introduction

welcome!
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    Before you know it, you'll be saying "what did I do with my money, time and life before I became addicted???"
    Very True...prepare to very badly want stuff you didn't know existed before you got here.
    Neal

Welcome and hold on to you swimcap...errr wallet.

Thank you all. I appreciate the welcome. I have read the article on sharpening. VERY helpful for where I am currently at. Thank you! If I may ask already, I would like to post this..please excuse my complete ignorance on this topic that you are all so passionate about. I am completely open and appreciative to hear your opinions and suggestions. Thank you! - SC

What type of knife(s) do you think you want? 8-INCH CHEF'S KNIFE / ALL-AROUND GENERAL PURPOSE KITCHEN KNIFE AS A GIFT FOR MY GIRLFRIEND WHO DOES NOT HAVE ONE YET. I WOULD LIKE SOMETHING THAT IS NOT READILY FOUND IN THE MAINSTREAM STORES IF POSSIBLE.

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing? FIRST GOOD KITCHEN KNIFE. DONT THINK SHE HAS ANYTHING YET...ITS A GIFT. SHE MENTIONED SHE NEEDS SOME GOOD KNIVES TO PREPARE MEALS. I THOUGHT I WOULD START HER WITH A CHEF'S KNIFE AND THEN GO FROM THERE DEPENDING UPON HOW SHE LIKES IT.

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
    Aesthetics- I THINK SHE WOULD LIKE A CLEAN, POLISHED LOOK...BUT REALLY ANYTHING I PURCHASE WILL BE APPRECIATED AS SHE KNOWS HOW MY OCD WILL REQUIRE ME TO GET SOMETHING QUALITY AND NOT THE FIRST BLADE I SEE ON THE WALMART SHELF.
    Edge Quality/Retention- SOMETHING FAIRLY EASY TO MAINTAIN WOULD BE NICE, I THINK.
    Ease of Use- NOT SURE SHE WOULD USE IT EXTENSIVELY ENOUGH FOR THESE TO BE A FACTOR...
    Comfort-

What grip do you use? HAMMER, PRETTY SURE ON THAT.

What kind of cutting motion do you use? NOT SURE.

Where do you store them? I'LL PROBABLY GET HER A MAGNETIC STRIP, OR A AT LEAST A GUARD FOR THE KNIFE SO SHE CAN PUT IT IN A DRAWER.

Have you ever oiled a handle? NO

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use? I'LL GET HER ONE. ANY RECOMMENDATIONS WOULD BE GREAT. SINGLE PERSON COOKING FOR HERSELF MOSTLY.

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing? NOTHING YET. I WILL PURCHASE SOMETHING AND PROBABLY BE THE ONE TO HELP HER SHARPEN WHEN NEED BE.

Have they ever been sharpened? NO

What is your budget? WOULD PREFER ~$300

What do you cook and how often? LOTS OF VEGGIES, CHICKEN, SALAD...SOMETIMES FISH.

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)? ANYTIME THERE'S A MADE IN USA STAMP ON IT, IT MAKES ME PROUD.

I think your girlfriend will be very well served by a 210mm gyuto in stainless steel, semi-stainless, or stainless-clad.

There are a few American makers that you'll want to consider. Devin Thomas makes wonderful knives, but I'm not sure whether his 210s will come in within budget. Murray Carter makes excellent-performing knives in this range, but they won't *look* special if that's an important consideration. If you're willing to bump up in price a little, our own Dave Martell makes some really nice 240s with a monthly payment plan - and I *believe* he'll do maintenance sharpening on them forever as well.

I'm sure many of the others will have a lot to add in for you to think about
    Len

Oh... try re-posting your query on the main discussion forum. You'll get more eyes on it and more responses there
    Len

+1 to re-posting in the main forum

I'll let others make suggestions, without buying direct from a maker I'm struggling to think of anything US made I'd recommend

Reposted on main discussion forum as suggested. Thank you!!
    http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...e-for-a-rookie

Welcome!
    Taylor

+ Reply to Thread