Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some new stones recommendations??

Need some new stones recommendations??

hey guys looking to upgrade my stones a bit.

I love the gesshin stone i have and id like to stay with those or stones that are comparable. I have talked to jon although i can't decide on which to get grit wise or whether to go with the soaking or splash and go stones. The splash n go stones are much cheaper which is better for me but do they compare to the soaking stones?

most of my sharpening is done at home so my stones i normally soak all the time. although it'd be nice to have a medium grit stone like a 2-4k that i can carry with me at work in case i need to have a touch up or some sort of repair here and there.

I currently have a G400, 1k( which i hate), 6k(Steelex which is actually quite decent), and my takashima which i love.

Id definitely like to replace my 1k, either with another 1k or possibly another grit. I wouldn't mind adding another stone either, jon mentioned the 6k he has but since i like my 6k stone I'm not sure id like to get one of the same grit... Im interested in the 4k and the 5k, major price difference although not sure about the performance wise.

what do you guys think? i don't want to spend a fortune but i would like to get some nicer stones any recommendations welcome.

thanks

Ive got the gesshin 2k and it cuts faster than my 400 Super Stone...would be a great replacement for the 1k stone youve currently got. I have used the 4k and it also cuts amazingly quickly for the grit range it is rated at. Good feedback. I know for a while a buddy of mine was using the Gesshin 400 and then straight to the Gesshin 4000. He has since changed it up a bit but he really like that combo for a while. I'm hoping to get a Gesshin 400 soon and then sometime in the next year or two the Gesshin 5000...

It would help to know why you "hate" or "love" the stones you have.

Splash n go are just fine for routine stuff but nice soakers are invariably faster. There really is no comparison and shouldn't even be something worth discussion. Soakers usually have better feedback, too. I think it's just the nature of the beast. Splash n go tend to give shinier finishes and finer edges for the same grit rating, although that isn't always true.

Im not too picky about finishes as they are work knives i really don't care what it looks like.

i hate my 1k stone because of how it feels. its very very hard, not much feedback however it does a decent job, but i wish it did cut faster it seems to load up quickly.

the 6k, i like the edge i get off of it. It cuts decently leaves a nice finish but a toothy edge.

I am considering getting the 2k and 4k. although i like the price much more of the 5k so if they are comparable stones id rather go with the 5k. Unless the 4k could be used as repair work and a finishing stone and the 5k could only be used as more of a finishing stone.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    It would help to know why you "hate" or "love" the stones you have.

Splash n go are just fine for routine stuff but nice soakers are invariably faster. There really is no comparison and shouldn't even be something worth discussion. Soakers usually have better feedback, too. I think it's just the nature of the beast. Splash n go tend to give shinier finishes and finer edges for the same grit rating, although that isn't always true.
    Hadn't read or heard this before. Good info. Thanks.

Maybe a Bester 1200 would be good?

have considered it, although everyone says the 2k cuts extremely well and leaves a great edge to use so that could be a good stone for me to have considering a lot of my knives i leave around 1k edges on.

definitely like that as an option to replace my 1k as it would be a more versatile.

Okay. You like soakers. You want feedback and you don't care about finish. In my mind, I would go with G-rat's recommendation. Either the 2k or the 4k will do, if you always start with the 400. Both are fast and give great feedback. The downside is they are on the thirsty side of the spectrum (moreso the 2k than the 4k) but not annoyingly so. If you are slow at sharpening, you might have to rewet the stone before you're done with a side but I generally don't have to. After that, I'd say Bester (cheaper), Gesshin 1k (splash n go), Chosera (less thirsty/almost splash n go), and possibly a Sigma Select II 1.2k (hard/doesn't dish) for various reasons.

Alright I think I know what I'm going to go with thanks guys

If you love takashima, a red aoto from Maxim would be a really really good companion. I've got both, and am happy with both stones.