The elusive Shigefusa cloud, finally starting to get it

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schanop

Reaction score
First lest start with Maksims' awesome polishing work on a muki. It's the could, no doubt.

IMGP7117.JPG

And next, from Yamashita san's polish on a yanagi.

Polish16.jpg

I've been wondering if I can get one since the first shigefusa arrived at the door. It finally starts to show on my higashigata usuba, just mainly around the lamination line at the moment and some faint line on the bevel. At least, I think I'm on a journey there. Require more practising:
cloudg.jpg

Such a great photos! And great job.

Could you show photo of whole knife? The usuba

Thanks

I found that harder Jnats reviles that cloud more clearer.

Cloudy here in America on kasumi gyuto. I have experimented with soft and hard j-nat and I believe Maxim is correct; more figure with harder j-nat but the stones have be prepared very carefully if you are using finger stones.

No clouds in Denmark today, Finally :jumpy:

But planty on my Shigefusas :surrendar:

Suji Kasumi

IMGP1843.jpg

IMGP1849.jpg

IMGP1852.jpg

Yangi Kasumi
IMGP1858.jpg

Santoku KU

IMGP1861.jpg

Muki Kasumi

IMGP1869.jpg

Secret damascus only available to forum members. The gyuto is remarkable....are you sure this is really kasumi ;)

Nice job. The "line" you want to bring out is the forge welding line. Keep practicing and you'll reach it.

The elusive Shig.....How the heck does one go about purchasing one. Any fourm members got suggestions.....Would love to have one.

The elusive Shig.....How the heck does one go about purchasing one. Any fourm members got suggestions.....Would love to have one.

I might be able to get you one. PM me if interested ...

Maybe ask Maksim.

Thank you maksim for the tip and awesome results on other knives too. I've run into that hint myself that hint after using ohira suita lv3.5 ;-) But it will take me a while before getting an even polish on that stone.

@bieniek, promise will take a full short, not just head and shoulder for the next polish, and let's see how much more sCloud I can bring out. It is in use now and has some smudge. May be I should just go ahead and take a picture when the light is right.

Yes please, I just never seen that knife from shig and a photo would be sweet :)
What is the magic trick? :knife:

gyuto.jpg

Don't know how this shows up but there is obviously a conspiracy. All shigs are damascus, just different polish and price.

Wasn't literal...that's my kasumi.

My guess is that the cladding is being folded a few times over, to remove impurities (I have read somewhere that Shigefusa uses old wrought iron stock sometimes), which creates a Damascus-like look.

M

@bieniek, as requested. Just cleaned it a bit with some natural cleaner, so some patina is still on the blade
- First is the sexy distal taper spine shot.
- Second shows my first attempt polishing this blade after having had it for a little while.

pict0011ip.jpg

pict0012ee.jpg

Wow thanks this is one hell of a sexy blade!
It tapers very nicely and the shinogi line and the front is awesome.

When I look at their knives I can see all the details that differs the product from other makers knives.

I must have one! :lol2:

The polish isnt bad at all, I wouldnt say that!

My guess is that the cladding is being folded a few times over, to remove impurities (I have read somewhere that Shigefusa uses old wrought iron stock sometimes), which creates a Damascus-like look.

M

kgrhqfhjbme7536kpgbpf01.jpg

Would you say that is damascus?

Well it's not pattern welded :)
Wasn't Indian Wootz traded in the middle east original Damascus?

M

This would be consistent with what Maksim/Maxsim told me about where the markings come from; old iron stock and impurities.

I wonder if what is going on is actually the polish and number of layers. The kateiji has what I think is 16 layers on each side. (I clearly have too much time on my hands - between assignments...). Maybe the kasumis have like four layers for impurity reasons and different polish. On the plus side, we will be able to authenticate turn-of-the-century shigs on antiques road show in 50 years by testing with just the right polish in search of those four layers ;)

That indeed is Булат Marco :) Im gonna get kitchen blade made out of it at the end of may, hopefully...

If you want to be a stickler, you can call it The Original Damascus. :)
m

And thats why it is funny for me when people here call layered cladding a damascus.

Back