Petty Recommendations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dav

Reaction score
I currently have numerous cheap petty's and parers and a Moritaka Petty (130mm) but am looking for a 150mm petty. As I can't try before I buy its nice to hear others views from those who may own or have handled/tried these knives of which I've narrowed down to 3;

Heiji semi stainless petty.
Fujiwara Maboroshi no meito wa petty
Or a Konosuke HD petty

The reason I've included the Konosuke (a "cheaper" option) is due to just receiving a Konosuke HD 240mm gyuto and loving just about everything about it, so if the petty is similar I'd consider it. I'm also beginning to find that I have a preference for a thinner knife and do like the dimensions for example of the HD Gyuto and my Moritaka petty. I am interested in trying a knife from a top maker such as Heiji or Fujiwara but all knives I'm considering please me aesthetically and my first preference is for the knives cutting ability. The knife will be used for general kitchen duties so veg, fruit and animal/fish.

I have a 150 Heiji semi-stainless, 150 Kon stainless, 210 KonHD and 210 Fujiwara (this one is a western). The Kon's are very thin. A little too thin, if you ask me and I love to use thin knives (I also have KonHD, Tadatsuna, etc. in the 240+ sized gyutos.) I don't put much pressure one an item when peeling or much torque when coring, deboning, etc and although I find these cut extremely well they do flex noticeably at the tip (which is normal) and also at the machi which is not a great feeling. The Heiji and the Fujiwara are thicker, heavier knives and I find I like them better for all around duty. They are surprisingly excellent cutters, in my opinion. I especially like the Heiji steel both in performance and appearance.

Many thanks tk59 I've read good things about the Heiji but also like the Fujiwara appearance wise and again reviews of his knives seem to be excellent, I guess it will come down to the toss of a coin lol, although for some reason I'm leaning towards the Fujiwara as the appearance (hammer marks) appeal and I'm guessing with his expertise as a recognised master/sword smith would lean itself to a blade (including HT) of the highest order?

The Shigefusa Eamon linked to might be a good idea because you'd probably avoid paying import fees

One thing about the Fujiwara knives... The strong suit there is NOT fit and finish. If that was my thing, I wouldn't even think about going there.

Back