Japanese Knives Kochi Knives BACK IN STOCK

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
559564_10150784290538860_369479678859_9645125_603618491_n.jpg

I hadn't looked at knives in a while because I am on a buying moratorium, but this looks great.The F&F is also nice, especially for a kuro uchi knife. I especially like it that there is a little curve to it. I had tried 'real' flat double beveled kiritsukes and always found them too flat for me. This here is definitely going on my 'If I ever buy another knife...' list. Of course, it would need a spalted koa handle, but that should be easy ;)

Stefan

This guy looks very similar to my beloved zakuri:

zak240kgb1onr_3.jpg

How do they compared Jon?

the kochi is much thinner behind the edge, the kurouchi looks different and has a different feel, the kochi is thinner overall and has a different kind of construction/geometry, the zakuri has better edge retention, the kochi is easier to sharpen... and so on ;)

Both very good knives

That yanagiba looks very nice! It looks like it was discovered in an a very old stash of antiques in Japan.

That yanagiba looks very nice! It looks like it was discovered in an a very old stash of antiques in Japan.

My, my aren't we romanticizing this morning. I do love Kochi's kurouchi finish though. I'm going to pickup a 240mm kurouchi gyuto, hopefully before Fall.

Boy I like that yanagiba! I just don't know about the single bevel thing. Jon if I use a slicer mainly for BBQ and roasts I don't do sushi. Would I be better off with a suji?

I'm starting to develop a slight crush on the Kiritsuke style knife. Is there any advantages over traditional Gyuto or is it just aesthetic?

I'm starting to develop a slight crush on the Kiritsuke style knife. Is there any advantages over traditional Gyuto or is it just aesthetic?

The difference between a gyuto and a true single beveled kiritsuke is tremendous; the difference between a gyuto and a gyuto with a kiritsuke tip is negligible at best. ;)

The difference between a gyuto and a true single beveled kiritsuke is tremendous; the difference between a gyuto and a gyuto with a kiritsuke tip is negligible at best. ;)

yeah... with kiritsuke-shaped wa-gyutos its mostly aesthetic (though sometimes they can have a bit flatter profile, but not always)

Please tell me the Yanagi is SOLD... it needs to be SOLD... (can't stop thinking about it...) ARRGGHH!!!!

Jon why do you torture me soo....

If I didn't already have a Kochi (and LOVE it) this would not be nearly as tempting, but I know how nice these knives are and I can't stop thinking of this one... You may be getting an Email soon... Obituary (mine) to follow...

Oh boy... Wife out of nowhere said for Father's day I could get something nice up to a set limit :) Now I just have to come up with the rest on my own :)

JON where are you hiding LOL

Good grief! How can anyone put a limit on the value of the incredible act of enabling the creation of LIFE!!!!! You deserve everything that you have coming to you!

Just wondering about the specs on the Kochi knives since not listed on the site. Curious specifically about the weight of the Kochi 240mm Migaki Wa-Gyuto. Thanks!

Working on salmon #3 tomorow with my new Kochi KU 270 yanagi :) So far it has been very good to me :) I'm sure I'll have to work on the edge after this one, 11lbs full body Coho Salmon, we had a sale today :)

Just wondering about the specs on the Kochi knives since not listed on the site. Curious specifically about the weight of the Kochi 240mm Migaki Wa-Gyuto. Thanks!

i'll try to get specs done when i have some time... sorry about that

i'll try to get specs done when i have some time... sorry about that

No rush or worries, but having the knife specs is one of the things I love about your site.

Thanks again

Back