California Foie gras ban

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When Foie Gras is outlawed, only outlaws will have..............

Typical of anything governmental. Write the law to satisfy one set of people but don't do anything to make it work the way it is supposed to.

money put aside for a study on how they want the producers to follow through at the bottom of the articale.

I read that, but with only one producer in CA it would seem rediculous, or even monopolistic, to throw money their way. I'm sure there are some valid arguments, but peoples lack of planning are not others emergencies. The gov't makes lots of mistakes, but it also takes lots of undeserved critisism as well. This CA law doesn't surprise me, but if it were in TX I would be shocked.

It's the always the governments fault! Haven't you been paying attention?

So there being only 1 in the state it sounds like someone is wanting it closed down. I also like to look for the conspiracy in everything.

With only 1 in the state it should have been resolved between what the state wants. It is not the growers fault something is wrong and has no idea what to change.

Well I can live with out fowl liver,but what is next?????? I know!,you won't be able to imprison a baby cow for my my dinning pleasure.

I have read somewhere that foie GRAS can occur naturally in wild birds. The trick is giving them something so tasty that they gorge themselves. That might cost a bit more for feed, tho, eh?

BTW, we are so spoiled it is ridiculous.

I'm sorry if I come off as not supportive of small business, I really am. I am no PETA activist by any means, but I don't believe in the industry, nor Wagyu for that matter. I'm a huge dog guy, and I am just glad I don't live in Korea.

I'm sorry if I come off as not supportive of small business, I really am. I am no PETA activist by any means, but I don't believe in the industry, nor Wagyu for that matter. I'm a huge dog guy, and I am just glad I don't live in Korea.
Or Hawaii:biggrin: Although maybe that's changed.

I have read somewhere that foie GRAS can occur naturally in wild birds. The trick is giving them something so tasty that they gorge themselves. That might cost a bit more for feed, tho, eh?

Yeah, but then they would have to raise the price, and that might put it out of the reach of the 99% that ought to have it as well! :sarcasmalert:

...what is next?????? ...
This is the crux of the matter. How many things do you consume every day that might possibly involve curtailing what someone perceives as the the right of another a living thing? Maybe you want to be told what you can and cannot do to a plant, animal, etc. I do not. How about farmers killing poor furry squirrels, rabbits, etc.? Get real.

And then there are the poor defenseless brussels sprouts and cauliflowers!!

I heard the nerdy chef give a lengthy speech (first, chefs don't give speeches) on natural foie. Something about "lavage" or what ever.

In short, I used to like it but no more. And it's kinda gone out of style.

Was banned in NJ back in 2005 or so because of trans fats blah blah. Really it was just something for politicians to point at during an election year to take the focus off of the real issues, THEM.

Anyway it's been lifted since then and I'm serving it on friday night paired up with ahi tuna.

This is the crux of the matter. How many things do you consume every day that might possibly involve curtailing what someone perceives as the the right of another a living thing? Maybe you want to be told what you can and cannot do to a plant, animal, etc. I do not. How about farmers killing poor furry squirrels, rabbits, etc.? Get real.

I admit it is a gray area, but if the farmers were shoving funnels down squirrels throats or keeping them in a 6" x 6" box, I might re-think my diet.

The treatment of chickens or cows far exceeds the brutality that geese or ducks go through for the foie gras process. Said duck or goose is fed through a tube 3 times a day a large amount of food, the rest of their day is spent doing whatever they want; not stacked in large crates to defecate on the birds below them or kept in a 1'x1' area like a large portion of the chx industry. "Natural" foie gras is harvesting the liver right before the birds migrate south, so the bird has already eaten as much as it can for the journey. The birds are just given food so plentifully that they don't want to leave the farm and fly south.

I admit it is a gray area, but if the farmers were shoving funnels down squirrels throats or keeping them in a 6" x 6" box, I might re-think my diet.
Yeah. They don't confine them but they probably do a lot of dying slowly in agony from traps or poison. How about fish? Do fish not suffer? Whatever it is you're eating, I bet there is something there. Even a dog is confined in some way or another. Is that nice? How about dog food? Even the nicest dog food ain't that great. If you don't feed your dog lean, raw meat every day, maybe you're abusing it, no?

Well prepared foie is never out of style.

+1. I eat it raw with a little Himalayan NaCl. Nevermind the hundreds of other preparations/applications. In regards to the cruelty aspect- Martin Picard the chef/propietor of Au Pied Du Cochon, and main supplier of foie in Canada- claims that the geese actually get rather excited and rush up during feeding time. Granted this could be marketing on his part, but it does make a little sense. In the wild animals have to work pretty hard to stay fed, and in this instance someone gives them the opportunity to gorge on stress free food multiple times a day...

The treatment of chickens or cows far exceeds the brutality that geese or ducks go through for the foie gras process. Said duck or goose is fed through a tube 3 times a day a large amount of food, the rest of their day is spent doing whatever they want; not stacked in large crates to defecate on the birds below them or kept in a 1'x1' area like a large portion of the chx industry. "Natural" foie gras is harvesting the liver right before the birds migrate south, so the bird has already eaten as much as it can for the journey. The birds are just given food so plentifully that they don't want to leave the farm and fly south.

Intensive farming is very horrendous. They've attached a lot of fun words to try and make it sound more palatable- like free range, and organic. Free range only means they get a very small window of time each day to 'wander' en masse outside of their enclosures. They aren't living idyllic lives, on some sun drenched swale of countryside. They have a half hour to be outdoors shoulder to shoulder with eachother. And organic just describes their feed. Not their living conditions. It's surprising how much better happy, well cared for animals taste. The flavor profile, texture, and appearance is far superior. Pork is pink, not tan. So really, extensive farming- it's a win/win. Animal is taken care of and happy, and you get to enjoy a delicious reward of giving an animal a good life. Big business ruins everything... Except my awesome tv:)

Wow. He def. isn't going away hungry from that chef's table. Like what the chef said. I'm gonna kill him then give him more food.

Back