Stefan's Carter HG nakiri 5.7sun with custom handle choice

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apicius9

Das HandleMeister
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a brand new Carter HG nakiri blade in white steel that I want to offer with a choice between two custom handles. I would like Dave to do the rehandling, and the handles just need a final polish, so this is ready for shipping by this weekend at the latest. Some pics:

I bought the blade as a 5.7sun IIRC, effective blade length is approx. 175mm.

First handle is satinwood burl with redwood burl ferrule and endcap, copper spacers. Some burls are very clean without voids, some have larger voids that need to be filled, and then there are the ones in between - those I call 'rustic' :) This piece of redwood is one of those, there are a few small burly voids and grooves, but I think they look better as they are than when I try and fill them up. Woods are stabilized, of course.

The second handle is a nice piece of curly koa between lightly curled maple and red fiber spacers. The koa is really nice, and I deliberately chose a less dramatic piece of maple to get the focus on the koa.

Both handles have approximately the same length around 134mm IIRC. The koa handle is just a touch 'higher' but the difference is very small. Please keep in mind that they still need the final polish and they will look a little bit 'cleaner' when you get them.

This knife sells from Murray for around $335 + S&H. I would like $465 for it. That includes shipping it to Dave, Dave's rehandling work, and shipping it to your US address (anywhere else I'd add the actual extra postage cost).

I hope you like it, even if it does not have the tiniest bit of musk ox horn anywhere... ;)

Stefan

Was looking for a rehandled Carter Nakiri for awhile, is that first one still available? How much to ship to Canada? Kinda wanted a 210 but the handle on the first might sway me....

This one is pending.

Back