Quantcast
Konosuke Fujiyama
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Konosuke Fujiyama

Konosuke Fujiyama

Anybody have any input on these? Other Konosuke's I've run across were great for the money IMO. They were all white #2, and these are white #1 which I don't have any experience with. So yeah- anybody played with any of the knives from this line yet?

I just paced an order for a 240mm Konosuke Fujiyama White #1 Wa-Kiritsuke Gyuto yesterday, so I can't comment on how the #1 compares to the #2 that I have in the fuji line....but I can tell you that I like this line way better than the reg, carbon or HD line. They are just a bit thicker on the spine and have a highly polished choil and spine as well. I believe they are hand hammered and clad. They take a really sweet multi-layered patina. Mine is the most comfortable gyuto I've ever used. I won't buy any other kind of knife from Konosuke after trying out both the reg carbons and the HD lines. I think I'm very biased in favor of this particular line...your milage may vary .

Engorged Member
    I've got the suji and really like it, It is incredibly reactive though...

The cutting performance on the white 1 line is pretty nice with decent edge retention. It sharpens up incredibly easily. The choil was beveled on the one I used so that it actually made an edge that wasn't super comfortable at times. The machi gap is oddly unfinished like the metal was broken off or something. These knives also run very short with a 240 being more like 225. The handle was well made, felt nice and substantial but somehow incongruous with the size of the blade. It was reactive although after the patina formed, it calmed down quite a bit. I liked it a lot but I'd rather use other knives.

much more awesomer
    The HD and shironiko lines appear to be good value. Can the same be said for the Fuji line?
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

I don't know if $350 for a 270mm(260ish) is a good value but Id rather get a Gengetsu 240mm that runs long w/saya for the same price. I'm just comparing clad white steel here, but I like those burnt chestnut handles more. How about a fujiyama grind/profile with HD steel? That would be sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    I don't know if $350 for a 270mm(260ish) is a good value but Id rather get a Gengetsu 240mm that runs long w/saya for the same price...
    +1

I like my Konosuke fujiyama. But it falls short in a few areas. The choil and Machi can be uncomfortable. The grind is very good but not great. The knife also runs short for a 240mm. It would be nice if the edge was 10-15mm longer. I like the steel and feel like it has out performed any other white steel I have used. Gets sharper and can cut better then almost any knife I have used. It could be a great knife especially for the price, but with those few issues it is a very good knife. The gegentsu is a more complete knife in that price range, but I have not used one long enough to comment on the steel.

I can't comment on the edge retention on the Gengetsu other than to say it's clearly a tougher brand on white steel compared to a Carter, for example. I observed no chipping at all during use. The edge retention is in line with what I would expect from white steel as was the sharpening which is very similar to the Fujiyama, in that it effortlessly achieves crazy sharpness.

I have a 270mm white 2 gyuto and love it. It has great fit & finish, excellent grind, and profile, and it is super easy to sharpen and get just hair popping sharp. It keeps an edge better than any of my other white steel knives.