Grills Gone Wild!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sw2geeks

Founding Member
Reaction score
Back from my trip from the Austin Food & Wine Festival this past weekend.

Lots of big name chefs like Marcus Sameulsson, Michelle Bernstein, Andrew Zimmern, Gaile Simmons and Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto.

Local celebrity Chef Tim Love, here from Fort Worth, was the host and had what was billed as the largest hands-on grilling demo with 100 charcoal grills.

I will have to say, it is hard to forget the smell of 200 steaks grilling all at the same time on hickory charcoal!

I wrote a little story about it that is posted here.

I was taking pictures of the event, but my wife was able to take the class. Each grill station had a shot of tequila and a bottle of white wine, so she was feeling no pain before 10 in the morning.

Here is a picture she took of me on stage trying to get a picture of Chef love grilling some skirt steak directly on the coals. I am in the red shirt.

543002_3179341517975_1098751114_32460633_326646451_n.jpg

5d w/ 70-200mm 2.8L? How'd the pictures come out?

Nice write up and looks like it was a good time.

It's a 5d II with a 28-300L, I was using it at 28mm in that shot, which is pretty wide on a full frame camera.

That's one hell of a zoom! And it looks like you had one of the best views at the evert. Where you shooting for a paper or publication or did you score the sweet on-stage press access via some other means?

That's one hell of a zoom! And it looks like you had one of the best views at the evert. Where you shooting for a paper or publication or did you score the sweet on-stage press access via some other means?

It is one heavy lens, it has 12 elements in it to cover that range. I work for the paper here in Fort Worth.

The story and pictures are here.

Great photography! You're the first person that I've talked to that's used that lens: "super zoom" kit lens versatility with L quality images, and "free" bigger biceps from lifting that bazooka (but I guess it's still lighter than the combined weight of the 2-3 lenses that it replaces).

Thanks for the the write-up and sharing the link. -Looks like it was a blast! I bet the smell made people hungry for miles around.

Back