Backyard knife/ first rehandle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpikeC

Founding Member
Reaction score
I found this knife in the backyard when I bought this house back in '74. It was in bad shape, so it was used for occasional root pruning and such. The handle was loose and full of cracks and the blade was well pitted.
After I received my Takeda gyuto I got a different perspective on irregular surfaces in the sides of knives, so I decided to redo the handle and sharpen the old thing up. Then I saw someone reshape the blade of a very similar knife over at the other forum, and got more ideas, which may or may not see the light of day.
Anyway, I uncovered a makers mark, it was made by the Ontario Knife Company. The blade is 14 inches long.

PICT0433.JPG

This is the style of knife I wish Dave M. would commission. :thumbsup:

I think Ontario Knife company and Old Hickory are one and the same. I love the knives. Pretty sure it is 1095 carbon and the ones I have are very hard. If Dave did one like this I would be all over it. I think you will find it takes a pretty good and durable edge.

That's a good job! Can't beat the "quality tool left outside for a while" finish.

I really gotta get one of those Old Hickories.

So this is the butcher's knife you guys are thinking about? I thought you were all going for the scimitar? Either way would work for me. :)

Welll the front half of the knife is one, no?

So this is the butcher's knife you guys are thinking about? I thought you were all going for the scimitar? Either way would work for me. :)

Are you serious about doing a butcher knife? I would have been in on your gyuto series, I just did not need an 11th gyuto, but I only have 2 butcher knives. Like I said, I would be all over that one.

I've been trying to find one of these knives for months. Well, I guess if I looked somewhere beside ebay I might have already picked one up. I want one to use as my BBQ knife. I just bought a WSM grill today and the weather will be getting good here in a couple of weeks. Smelling good in the neighborhood.

I have an old Ontario Knife Co. chef knife that's profile is nearly identical to my 210mm Konosuke gyuto.
As mentioned, it's a really good knife. Takes a good edge and holds it fairly well, takes a beating too. I use it for the more unsavory tasks around my kitchen. Rust forms quite fast though, iirc, just a couple of minutes.

You handle looks good. Better than what came on them new. I should do something with mine too, it's ratty, add it to the list I suppose....

To 99limited:
I have found a few used ones in a local knife store for not much money. Would you like me to get some pics and measurements for you? If they don't ship I could expedite the process for you.

Back