Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GQ Article on Selecting Kitchen Knives

GQ Article on Selecting Kitchen Knives

Congratulations to Korin on getting mentioned as a source for most of the recommended knives. But there were a few things in the article that seemed a bit strange -- clearly, if that is correct, not attributable to Korin as the source -- even to my untrained eyes.
    http://www.gq.com/life/food/201410/d...-knives-skills
    Like use of a "slicer" to fillet fish, use of a gyuto for cutting through bones, and a diagram on the proper technique for cutting onions that would seem to put finger tips very much at risk.

I can only assume that the choppin' through bones part was copied from a source that was talking about western chef knives. I have no problem cutting through chicken bones with a Wusthof or Sab, but I don't do it with my thin edged Gyutos. I've filleted fish with a slicer, before.

Thank you!

Yea... I don't know where they got this information, because I certainly didn't send it to them.

facepalm

The section on how it is virtually impossble to sharpen your own knives is BS too. I don't doubt that the pros can do a much better job than I. But I can do it - and it does not take years to achieve an acceptable level

Quote Originally Posted by idemhj View Post
    The section on how it is virtually impossble to sharpen your own knives is BS too. I don't doubt that the pros can do a much better job than I. But I can do it - and it does not take years to achieve an acceptable level
    I have no doubt you are right, but given the likely audience -- home cooks who would probably reach for an inappropriate steel or some Accusharp device that would might do serious damage to their knives -- as a practical matter recommending that they send knives needing sharpening to someplace like Korin makes sense. How many of those readers could instead be expected to buy a suitable set of stones and spend the time patiently learning how to sharpen correctly -- and then get the desired results? KKF participants are hardly typical of home cooks.

I'm sending my gyuto back to Devin with a harshly worded complaint about his inferior design. He's got a lot of damn nerve charging what he does for knives that don't have "metal running the full length." Sheesh!

Quote Originally Posted by larrybard View Post
    I have no doubt you are right, but given the likely audience -- home cooks who would probably reach for an inappropriate steel or some Accusharp device that would might do serious damage to their knives -- as a practical matter recommending that they send knives needing sharpening to someplace like Korin makes sense. How many of those readers could instead be expected to buy a suitable set of stones and spend the time patiently learning how to sharpen correctly -- and then get the desired results? KKF participants are hardly typical of home cooks.
    Well, point taken. However, where I live most of the pros are hardly in the Korin class (Maksim being the exception, but only the select few will know of him). So i still have reservations about recommending nice knives, but telling people that they are not capable of maintaining them. (As you may have gathered I am a big fan of Chad Ward's An Edge in the Kitchen.)

Glad to see our little corner of the world getting some light shined on it...but wish they'd done their homework just a little better, several facepalms in that article.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

So is anyone writing Mr. Sullivan and offering guidance? I rarely have much hope for articles like these, and generally doubt the sincerity of the authors, but a less cynical person ought to try being helpful.