Thread: ChefSteps Butter to steak knife conversion video

Talking ChefSteps Butter to steak knife conversion video

Awesome little video with a great little idea for any knife enthusiast, go to an antique retailer/goodwill/ yard sale and buy some cool looking steak knives for a few bucks and than re-profile them into steak knives. From watching the video it seems like a project you could accomplish in a Saturday afternoon whilst is was raining. It looks to be a similar method to a standard tip repair which we have all done, or at least read about. I'd love to see what some of the pros could do in this area. I figured I would post this since I have seem a few steak knife threads and most of the worthwhile knife sets are pretty pricey.

Link

Cheers,
    Evan

not a bad idea, but its unhardened steel so its still a butter knife with a steeper bevel on it. Beautiful prison shanks

We would not call them butter knives in Europe (butter spreaders are usually quite short and have a rounded tip) - they are just dinner knives. It is quite a nice idea though if you have the time and don't mind sharpening them quite often. Steak knives have a hard life as they are constantly used against porcelain.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    We would not call them butter knives in Europe (butter spreaders are usually quite short and have a rounded tip)
    those are relatively uncommon over here...but to keep things clear we call those: butter knives!

almost always people will use a dinner knife as a butter knife. If it's a formal meal, there will be a proper butter knife on the bread plate though.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

been doing this for years
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.