Quantcast
WIP#2-a lefty / Kanji Identification too
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP#2-a lefty / Kanji Identification too

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.

WIP#2-a lefty / Kanji Identification too

Allright, my boss is keeping me busy with wips (not that I mind) in all the spare time I have away from work(which really isn't much especially this time of year). He's a southpaw and this is his only Jknife. It was a gift along with a sushi class over 10 years ago. Apparently it was a PITA to get a lefty knife and she complained about the price.
    There are a few rust spots I need to take care of first. The knife is also rusting into the handle-something else I am going to clean as well. So this handle sucks. Ho wood, which I don't mind and an awful plastic ferrule. They didn't craft a lefty D handle either, just flipped a righty.
    What are my ferrule options? can I keep this handle and just replace the plastic with a better material?
    Also, does anybody know the kanji(s)???
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Thanks, knerd

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    can't wait to see what you do with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    Allright, my boss is keeping me busy with wips (not that I mind) in all the spare time I have away from work(which really isn't much especially this time of year). He's a southpaw and this is his only Jknife. It was a gift along with a sushi class over 10 years ago. Apparently it was a PITA to get a lefty knife and she complained about the price.
    There are a few rust spots I need to take care of first. The knife is also rusting into the handle-something else I am going to clean as well. So this handle sucks. Ho wood, which I don't mind and an awful plastic ferrule. They didn't craft a lefty D handle either, just flipped a righty.
    What are my ferrule options? can I keep this handle and just replace the plastic with a better material?
    Also, does anybody know the kanji(s)???
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Thanks, knerd
    This one falls out of my field of expertise, you should talk to Darkhoek (Harald) he restores yanagis .
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Hooray!! Finally a lefty! Can't wait to see more... I'm so excited!
    Do not tell me I can't, let me succeed or fail. Even a failure is a small success.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    I know when to call in the pros. When I attempted to remove the handle, it was way rotten. I was worried (in my minimal experience) that I would ruin the blade by hammering it any harder or attempting to cut it off, especially that this is not my knife. Time to call in Dr. Martell........
    I care more about this knife than my boss, and knew he wouldn't appreciate (or want to pay for) a custom handle. I just contacted Dave to see if he had any remnants from past replacements that were buffalo ferrule instead of plastic. He wasn't sure if what he had would work, but I sent it anyway-I was sure Dave could Frankenstein something together. Dave gave me an unbelievably good price on the work!
    I picked it up at ECG this weekend and was very pleased with the handle work. Dave did an excellent job. I cleaned the blade up, polished it, made it nice and sharp. I also drilled a hole in the saya for a pin and crafted a pin out of a brass piece that came out of one my son's toy trains. A little Crown Royal rope as well.......yeah cheesy I know. I've got somebody helping me out with the kanji ID too.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Not a super exciting WIP, but a WIP nonetheless.
    Thanks Dave for helpinng me out.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

That is absolutely stunning!!

great job
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Looks cool.

Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    I know when to call in the pros. When I attempted to remove the handle, it was way rotten. I was worried (in my minimal experience) that I would ruin the blade by hammering it any harder or attempting to cut it off, especially that this is not my knife. Time to call in Dr. Martell........
    I care more about this knife than my boss, and knew he wouldn't appreciate (or want to pay for) a custom handle. I just contacted Dave to see if he had any remnants from past replacements that were buffalo ferrule instead of plastic. He wasn't sure if what he had would work, but I sent it anyway-I was sure Dave could Frankenstein something together. Dave gave me an unbelievably good price on the work!
    I picked it up at ECG this weekend and was very pleased with the handle work. Dave did an excellent job. I cleaned the blade up, polished it, made it nice and sharp. I also drilled a hole in the saya for a pin and crafted a pin out of a brass piece that came out of one my son's toy trains. A little Crown Royal rope as well.......yeah cheesy I know. I've got somebody helping me out with the kanji ID too.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Not a super exciting WIP, but a WIP nonetheless.
    Thanks Dave for helpinng me out.

Nice clean up work!

Glad that I could help.

Great job! What did you use for the Ura? I'm sure your boss is going to be elated.
    Do not tell me I can't, let me succeed or fail. Even a failure is a small success.

+ Reply to Thread