Quantcast
MAC rod

Thread: MAC rod

MAC rod

Did the MAC honing rod change? It appears to no longer be a 2k round rod, but a multi-grit square thing.

I really hope not because that would suck.

Yeah, I think it's a multigrit, not sure about it being square. I was about to order one to replace my no name blue guy and was unimpressed. Mystery Blue it is.
    It's not the Answer it's the Experience

I tested one of these new ones when they first came out a few months ago. IIRC, it was essentially the same rod with a couple of differences: 1. part of the rod has ridges going the entire length of the rod that supposedly works more aggressively or something but the grit of the surface seemed the same to me and 2. the rubber nipple on the tip is flush with the rest of the rod so there is no lip at the juncture between the rod and the rubber deal. I still recommend the rod just as I would the old one.

Oh, so it's not a multi-grit rod?

That's good. The multi grit thing is way to gimmicky and unnecessary to me.

Not multi-grit but multi-surface. Kind of strange now.

My saute cook has the new one. It's still round and is still 2k yet has 4 "sides". There are grooves running lengthwise down opposite sides of the rod now. Not sure how I feel about that, I don't think you need the grooves but whatev. The tip is much improved now though. It's no longer a bulbous afterthought and is now the same thickness as the rod for a smooth transition.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Kyocera rods have those grooves as well...not too sure they're actually useful.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com