MAC rod

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eamon Burke

Banned
Reaction score
Did the MAC honing rod change? It appears to no longer be a 2k round rod, but a multi-grit square thing.

I really hope not because that would suck.

Yeah, I think it's a multigrit, not sure about it being square. I was about to order one to replace my no name blue guy and was unimpressed. Mystery Blue it is.

I tested one of these new ones when they first came out a few months ago. IIRC, it was essentially the same rod with a couple of differences: 1. part of the rod has ridges going the entire length of the rod that supposedly works more aggressively or something but the grit of the surface seemed the same to me and 2. the rubber nipple on the tip is flush with the rest of the rod so there is no lip at the juncture between the rod and the rubber deal. I still recommend the rod just as I would the old one.

Oh, so it's not a multi-grit rod?

That's good. The multi grit thing is way to gimmicky and unnecessary to me.

My saute cook has the new one. It's still round and is still 2k yet has 4 "sides". There are grooves running lengthwise down opposite sides of the rod now. Not sure how I feel about that, I don't think you need the grooves but whatev. The tip is much improved now though. It's no longer a bulbous afterthought and is now the same thickness as the rod for a smooth transition.

Back