A short W.I.P - "refurbish" as practice

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peco

Banned
Reaction score
Got a really ****** knife from my boss. This knife has been a practiseknife and I imagine every single coarse sharpeningstone (and maybe diamondplates) have been thrown at this knife. As you can see the knife got abused big time :lol2: No grind, jigane, lots of scratches, high and low spots etc.

IMG_0912.jpg

So first I tried to make scratchpatterns even with a coarse synthetic. When done I used a tsushima to erase the coarse scratches. A medium polisher was used for the next stage - followed by a finisher. After 4 hours of work this is the result:

IMG_1150.jpg

And from another angle:

IMG_1139.jpg

+ one more:

IMG_1164.jpg

To be continued ......

Great start! What more plans do you have for this knife?

Great start! What more plans do you have for this knife?

Well as mentioned I just practise. I really don't think this knife is usable - well it can cut but the geometry is ruined. So I will try to establish the front side (shown on the pics) - create the grind, make the jigane show properly (what's left of it), make a good polish/reflection - only on j-nats, not by using fingerstones ... well many options I guess. Will be good practise for sure :D

great job Peco :D

and for first knife, i like it

If you can get the geometry right then I think this would be a very good practice knife, and worth the time and effort. Excelent job on the finish.

One important lesson I learned is that a polish can cover up a lot of mistakes. Even though I got a good reflection when watching the knife from the side - or at a specific angle - that look is far from the truth (previous pictures). Looking at the knife from the front shows that I'm far from finished. The geometry doesn't even look good yet. I didn't finish the wide bevel/grind on the heel or tip and the horizontal line is wavey and far from crisp. There are still low and high spots but the jigane starts to develop. Still some work to do on the coarse stones ...

Same knife - different view:

Front_view_no_reflection.jpg

I thought that the angles in the after pics were suspicious!

If this is a dumbass question please let me know, but did you do all the polishing on the stones?

Thanks P,

I will post the progress ...

well, i supose i will see the "******" knife today at work :D lol....

i can imagine your boss will be pleased to see and recive it in a good condition :D

Well it's my day off so I played around a little. Still waiting for my ATOMA diamondplates to show up - I need dead flat stones lol. The "******" petty got a little polishing on my Ohiira Renge Suita ... man I love that j-nat, just the sound makes me smile :) Cut's fast and polishes like a dream. No real pressure has to be added - this rock will almost do the work itself. Still got a long way to go with this W.I.P but I thought I would share a short video I did this morning :D

http://youtu.be/mR3grnww5vo

I'm confused Peco, is that a single bevel petty as in an ultra short yanagiba?

I'm confused Peco, is that a single bevel petty as in an ultra short yanagiba?

Well right now it's a hybrid so no wonder you are confused Pete. When I got this knife from my boss he said I could do anything with it - as practise. The other side is almost flat so I decided to turn this little DB petty into a "mini yanagi". My boss always wanted one, so hopefully this will make him happy :D The bonus for me is that I get to practise, test if my stones are flat, same goes for the bevel etc. Also I can test my new setup: from diamondplates (flattening stones) - to my final polisher (in the video). What more can a guy ask for :)

Will you write a little more on what you had to do to make the shinogi line less wavy/crisper?

Will you write a little more on what you had to do to make the shinogi line less wavy/crisper?

Sure :D Even though some state that ATOMA diamondplates shouldn't be used on j-nats because they will destroy them - those plates are part of the reason why the shinogi line got crisp (will be better when done). Your stones needs to be dead flat to achieve a crisp line + a flat bevel = good geometry = very sharp. The jigane you see is another result of a flat. If the stone has tiny high or low spots the jigane will dissapear = your bevel is not flat. As soon as the stones are conditioned again ... voila - the jigane will appear again.

As mentioned before I'll do a video of the flatteningprocess/conditioning - of the j-nats. How the crisp line is made will be to big of an explanation which might lead to confusion. I'll do a video of that process too if you are interested?

Back