30cm Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seth

Founding Member
Reaction score
Most talk about 210, 240, and 270. Anyone use 300 (or larger?) gyuto and do you like it - pros and cons? Is there any reason to this length - just curious.

Most talk about 210, 240, and 270. Anyone use 300 (or larger?) gyuto and do you like it - pros and cons? Is there any reason to this length - just curious.

I've seen a couple of pros post about using one. The only benefit I can think of is if you are doing large amounts of prep and have the board space it could make your work go by a little bit faster.

I love mine. It is just short of 300. I did a write up on it about a mo. ago. I will keep what I have to say about the length.

Pro's- I never run out of knife when slicing. I use it for anything but tip work. Feeling in hand is, well kinda like a warrior feeling invincible. It scares people when I take it out of the case.

Con's- It doesn't fit in my knife case, which has fallen out and chipped the blade. With a tight board space at work I can't use it all the time. Using the tip can make the arm be in a awkward position.

I really like the length, but I think just because of how much more expensive it gets for a 300 I may not buy one. Prob. go with a 270.

I would really like one for when I need to work through cases upon cases of prep. Also to pretend I'm Crocodile Dundee and bust out a small sword. "Thats not a knife"

I use a 300 gyuto every once in a while, but not often at all. I end up using the first third or the back third most of the time - I just don't really need that added edge length.

I have a tojiro pro 300 that I use very little, actually been thinking of selling it. It works great with large radishes, cabbage, melons, etc..also like it for slicing/ chiffonade of herbs...

I would have loved one at my last job. One knife to rule them all!

With the size and quantities of produce I was working with, a 300mm knife is not out of the question.

I've been using a 300 mm Ittossai honyaki off and on for the last month or two. It's cool that such a large knife cuts so well but I can't say I want to reach for it for anything in particular. I can tell that my control drops off a bit for tip work and for very large objects, I prefer a thin 270 to a beastly 300, even if the beastly one cuts very well, as this one does. I have also been using a 330 mm tall suji that I ground and unless I'm dealing with a huge pile of leafy greens I find myself using only part of the edge as Len described.

It will be interesting to see what Vertigo and memorael add to this thread. I'm pretty sure I remember them using some big knives regularly.

"That's not a knife" - one good motivation for going 300. (One of the best lines of all time...) But on the other side, the famous American philosopher, Clint Eastwood: "A man has got to know his limitations."

I recently went 270 and it feels like a monster to me after years of using 240s. So the question was sort of Is bigger always better aside from 'big d#ck' syndrome.' It sounds like the consensus is that other than production prep it's really not necessary, especially if you have the territory covered with a big suji or yanagiba.

I don't think any home owners need, or would even benefit, from having a 300mm gyuto. Personally I do quite a bit of tip work and think that it's much more important to have a usable tip than an extra 30mm or 60mm flat spot.

I use a 300mm Masamoto HC Gyuto when I cut steaks off of a Striploin or Rib roast. One pull stroke and a steak is cut.

I have a Tad 300mm in white #2.I just use it for big stuff.Like TK said there is no tip control so it is just for melons,large cabbage etc.It is nice to have one even if I don't use it all the time.

I don't use mine a lot but I like it for softball sized onions. It's also great as a slicer. Of course that's on a prep table with a big 36" x 24" cutting board.

-AJ

I use a 300mm Hiro as my main knife dail, coupled with a 150 petty in a pocket saya. I like the length because I always have enough blade to slice. Also, there is always a section of blade with an almost fresh edge on it because there is just so much blade to use. I like the extra width at the heel, just seems to make chopping veggies easier. The main disadvantage is it just being too long for some of the tight spaces, on the line in particular. It also is a bit over the top for brunoising shallots and similar fine tasks, this is where the 150 comes into play. I have 270 TKC and I find myself reaching for the 300 much more often than the 270.

Back