suisin inox honyaki price increase

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not surprised. The yen has appreciated against he dollar making it tough for prices to stay where they are at. Let see what happens???

Suisin requested the retailers to raise the prices, on all Suisin lines.

I am not surprised. The yen has appreciated against he dollar making it tough for prices to stay where they are at. Let see what happens???
I don't think the Yen has as much to do with pricing as people assume. The Yen has been trading within a fairly narrow band over the last 18 months. In fact, it is about the same as it was in July of last year.

That's a pretty hefty increase, over 25%.

the 210 petty i wanted went from $238 to $297. Ive looked around and not everybody has raised the prices yet FYI. I love my Suisin Inox 270mm gyuto and I think its worth every penny(old price). With the new prices though, I mightve just passed it up for a gesshin ginga.

So happy I bought the two suisin IH's when I did. I probably would never have bought them at the new pricing

Ive looked around and not everybody has raised the prices yet FYI.

The retailers that get product from suppliers rather than direct from Suisin have not raised prices yet, but I expect them to with new shipments.

Yes. My point being if somebody is considering purchasing a suisin nows the time.
My point is the same as your's, as the old pricing probably won't last long, get them while you can.

I was about to buy a Suisin a couple of weeks ago but am not now that the price has gone up. It is unfortunate because I thought Suisin put out a great knife for the price, but now, I think there are some other options for around the same price that I would rather have.

to me it Suisins handle that really sets it apart. Granted, I havent had as much experience with different knives as Im sure most of the people on this forum have. But I have used a Kono hd, kono white 2 and a suisin IT all 270mm gyutos. Plus a kono 270 suji and a kono hd 240 gyuto. The feel and size of Suisins handle allows for more comfortable cutting movements/cutting strokes for me. I underestimated the importance of handles until now. Now when I look at knives that I consider purchasing I take a long hard look at handle size and weight.

Suisins are all ground very well and have some of the best QC.

Still worth the money, imho.

Nothing unusual with price increases :)
I estimate every brand of knives to increase the next couple of years :p

Never had Suisin, but guess they preform really well. The only thing is that stock handles on mass manufactured knives are not that good. I am one of those who needs to rehandle everything .)

I don't think the Yen has as much to do with pricing as people assume. The Yen has been trading within a fairly narrow band over the last 18 months. In fact, it is about the same as it was in July of last year.

Every company raises or changes their price eventually, but this time it actually has A LOT to do with the exchange rate. Quite frankly, most Japanese companies that export are suffering. It isn't just knives, it's pretty much everything from books to cars. (My Japanese books have gone from $5 to $8 per volume and of course it sucks.) In reality, there is no reason for the Japanese economy to be doing so well. I don't know for sure, but I think the knife companies weren't expecting the exchange rate to stay so low, and the ones who anticipated it braced themselves for the worst. For what it's worth though many companies including Suisin aren't playing it half as safe as people think they do. It's annoying and Korin has taken a big hit too, but I hope this explanation keeps people from being too angry.

I really hope the economy here and in Japan gets better. It's rough paying 25% more on everything every time I visit my relatives. :(

In terms of the Suisin Inox honyaki series, I think the price increase is not a great idea. These knives are not significantly better than Sakai Yusuke, Konosuke, Ikkanishi Tadatsuna, etc., yet they are priced far above these "twin" knives. If I needed to buy only one such knife, Suisin Inox honyaki would not make it onto my list because of the significantly lower price to value. Even before the price increase, the price seemed a bit high.

Mari, thanks for the input! As an "observer" I'm always glad for information from "insiders". :)

It is a bizarre twist of economics that keeps supporting the Japanese Yen (and economy) in the wake of hundreds of trillions of Yen spent and committed to Tohoku quake and tsunami relief and rebuilding.

Every company raises or changes their price eventually, but this time it actually has A LOT to do with the exchange rate. Quite frankly, most Japanese companies that export are suffering. It isn't just knives, it's pretty much everything from books to cars. (My Japanese books have gone from $5 to $8 per volume and of course it sucks.) In reality, there is no reason for the Japanese economy to be doing so well. I don't know for sure, but I think the knife companies weren't expecting the exchange rate to stay so low, and the ones who anticipated it braced themselves for the worst. For what it's worth though many companies including Suisin aren't playing it half as safe as people think they do. It's annoying and Korin has taken a big hit too, but I hope this explanation keeps people from being too angry.

I really hope the economy here and in Japan gets better. It's rough paying 25% more on everything every time I visit my relatives. :(

In terms of the Suisin Inox honyaki series, I think the price increase is not a great idea. These knives are not significantly better than Sakai Yusuke, Konosuke, Ikkanishi Tadatsuna, etc., yet they are priced far above these "twin" knives. If I needed to buy only one such knife, Suisin Inox honyaki would not make it onto my list because of the significantly lower price to value. Even before the price increase, the price seemed a bit high.
Good points, tk.

I thought I might be able to afford more "big-name" knives to round out my quiver, but with the recent increases (pretty much across the board) I've found myself watching B/S/T religiously, and looking for deals from Yusuke and some of the "twins". I was lucky to round up a couple of almost-new (or NIB) 300 mm yanagis recently, and I'm now actively hunting for a petty, deba and eventual usuba.

The American exchange rate is still 1:1.

Now we just need more, better makers!

x2

Sorry if this is super off topic.

Are the Suisin Inox Honyaki and Western similar when it comes to a western grind like the sujihiki? Hardness, steel, ect...

You can boil my question down to ... hearing lots of high praise for their inox honyaki line, from my boss who has the yanagi, there is a huge price gap. I'm wondering how other production sugihikis would compare.

Sorry if this is super off topic.

Are the Suisin Inox Honyaki and Western similar when it comes to a western grind like the sujihiki? Hardness, steel, ect...

You can boil my question down to ... hearing lots of high praise for their inox honyaki line, from my boss who has the yanagi, there is a huge price gap. I'm wondering how other production sugihikis would compare.

I'm not sure what you are asking. The INOX honyaki line and the INOX western line are totally different. Different steel, different design (western is a little thicker), different handles, different hardness. They are very nice knives and the INOX western has been a great bang for the buck option, although I haven't checked the prices on that line yet.

Are susins really honyaki? AFAIK they're like Nenox, honyaki being just a term for high end knives...

Back