Quantcast
suisin inox honyaki price increase - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: suisin inox honyaki price increase

In terms of the Suisin Inox honyaki series, I think the price increase is not a great idea. These knives are not significantly better than Sakai Yusuke, Konosuke, Ikkanishi Tadatsuna, etc., yet they are priced far above these "twin" knives. If I needed to buy only one such knife, Suisin Inox honyaki would not make it onto my list because of the significantly lower price to value. Even before the price increase, the price seemed a bit high.

much more awesomer
    Mari, thanks for the input! As an "observer" I'm always glad for information from "insiders".

It is a bizarre twist of economics that keeps supporting the Japanese Yen (and economy) in the wake of hundreds of trillions of Yen spent and committed to Tohoku quake and tsunami relief and rebuilding.

Quote Originally Posted by Korin_Mari View Post
    Every company raises or changes their price eventually, but this time it actually has A LOT to do with the exchange rate. Quite frankly, most Japanese companies that export are suffering. It isn't just knives, it's pretty much everything from books to cars. (My Japanese books have gone from $5 to $8 per volume and of course it sucks.) In reality, there is no reason for the Japanese economy to be doing so well. I don't know for sure, but I think the knife companies weren't expecting the exchange rate to stay so low, and the ones who anticipated it braced themselves for the worst. For what it's worth though many companies including Suisin aren't playing it half as safe as people think they do. It's annoying and Korin has taken a big hit too, but I hope this explanation keeps people from being too angry.

I really hope the economy here and in Japan gets better. It's rough paying 25% more on everything every time I visit my relatives.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

much more awesomer
    Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    In terms of the Suisin Inox honyaki series, I think the price increase is not a great idea. These knives are not significantly better than Sakai Yusuke, Konosuke, Ikkanishi Tadatsuna, etc., yet they are priced far above these "twin" knives. If I needed to buy only one such knife, Suisin Inox honyaki would not make it onto my list because of the significantly lower price to value. Even before the price increase, the price seemed a bit high.
    Good points, tk.

I thought I might be able to afford more "big-name" knives to round out my quiver, but with the recent increases (pretty much across the board) I've found myself watching B/S/T religiously, and looking for deals from Yusuke and some of the "twins". I was lucky to round up a couple of almost-new (or NIB) 300 mm yanagis recently, and I'm now actively hunting for a petty, deba and eventual usuba.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

The American exchange rate is still 1:1.

Now we just need more, better makers!

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    x2

Sorry if this is super off topic.

Are the Suisin Inox Honyaki and Western similar when it comes to a western grind like the sujihiki? Hardness, steel, ect...

You can boil my question down to ... hearing lots of high praise for their inox honyaki line, from my boss who has the yanagi, there is a huge price gap. I'm wondering how other production sugihikis would compare.

a suisin inox 270 gyuto actually cost twice the price of a sakai yusuke 270 gyuto now.

Quote Originally Posted by eshua View Post
    Sorry if this is super off topic.

Are the Suisin Inox Honyaki and Western similar when it comes to a western grind like the sujihiki? Hardness, steel, ect...

You can boil my question down to ... hearing lots of high praise for their inox honyaki line, from my boss who has the yanagi, there is a huge price gap. I'm wondering how other production sugihikis would compare.
    I'm not sure what you are asking. The INOX honyaki line and the INOX western line are totally different. Different steel, different design (western is a little thicker), different handles, different hardness. They are very nice knives and the INOX western has been a great bang for the buck option, although I haven't checked the prices on that line yet.

Are susins really honyaki? AFAIK they're like Nenox, honyaki being just a term for high end knives...

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    x2
    Really, I never knew people felt this way. Haven't never handled one, I don't know. There is always super super high praise from JKI about Suisin though which always made me want one.

+ Reply to Thread