Ohiira Renge Suita

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peco

Banned
Reaction score
Spent a few days abroad with a good friend of mine. Tried all different kinds of high quality jnats - a few of them I even got to bring with me home :biggrin:

This is an Ohiira Renge Suita: 20,7 cm in lenght, 7,6 cm in width and 4 cm in height. It is bright white with very thin suita lines and a good amount of renge. The sides and bottom are protected with transparent lacquer.

This baby has it all. Cuts fast if needed and can be a gentle polisher as well, a true gem ... and the best polisher I have ever used. Thought I would share it with you guys ...

OhiiraRengeSuita.jpg

:D grats to the new stone, looks great, cant wait to try it out, wonder who many pro kitchen in Denmark that has the amount of Jnat stones we have?.

:D grats to the new stone, looks great, cant wait to try it out, wonder who many pro kitchen in Denmark that has the amount of Jnat stones we have?.

Thanks :D Yeah we are doing pretty good. I will bring my Shoubudani Shiro Suita as well, great med-hard jnat - and it matches the Ohiira perfectly :)

:doublethumbsup: that´s the spirit, looking forward to that

blink blink ... and my forehead has four letters glowing y v n e.

wondering how many people in Sydney are into j-nat and single bevel??

blink blink ... and my forehead has four letters glowing y v n e.

wondering how many people in Sydney are into j-nat and single bevel??
I believe there is a stone dealer there. Almost 100% sure that stone the OP posted is from him.

I believe there is a stone dealer there. Almost 100% sure that stone the OP posted is from him.

Not is Syndey any more, now in taree about four hours north. If we are talking about the same person :)

Well your "almost" a 100% sure - is about 100% off
Not hard to figure out where a stone comes from if there are only two possible sources. And I am not talking about resale as it is your case.

Not hard to figure out where a stone comes from if there are only two possible sources. And I am not talking about resale as it is your case.

It really doesn't matter where you get your jnats. What matters is that you get proper adwise, a genuine stone that will match your needs and a guarantee from your retailer that he will make a refund if you are not happy with your purchase ... especially when buying high-end stones.

It really doesn't matter where you get your jnats. What matters is that you get proper adwise, a genuine stone that will match your needs and a guarantee from your retailer that he will make a refund if you are not happy with your purchase ... especially when buying high-end stones.
All the guarantees in the world will not make a stone perform better for the user if the user has no idea how it works and the user does not put the time to learn the stone. From my observations many people are very demanding for quality for the money and expect everything to work the way it is described with minimal effort. Well in the case of J-nats it is not how it works. J-nats, unlike synthetics, have character one has to learn proper technique to get most of them, even the most expensive stone will be crap in incapable hands. Some people just do not have the "it" factor to learn proper technique, then they go back to the seller and say the stone is crap and demand returns, in this case it is very useful to buy from someone that has good return policy.

All the guarantees in the world will not make a stone perform better for the user if the user has no idea how it works and the user does not put the time to learn the stone. From my observations many people are very demanding for quality for the money and expect everything to work the way it is described with minimal effort. Well in the case of J-nats it is not how it works. J-nats, unlike synthetics, have character one has to learn proper technique to get most of them, even the most expensive stone will be crap in incapable hands. Some people just do not have the "it" factor to learn proper technique, then they go back to the seller and say the stone is crap and demand returns, in this case it is very useful to buy from someone that has good return policy.

Which is why your vendor should guide you in the right direction and a guarantee will get your money back if the stone is not matched properly! Maybe some people don't know how j-nats are supposed to feel but when you try out a great j-nat you know in a second. I have tried quite a few and what I experienced this week was in a whole different league than what I tried before. They all had their own caracteristics but each and everyone felt great, smooth, cut well, polished well etc. I tried everything from coarse synthetics and all the way up to great j-nat polishers. Everything matched what I need - stones for kitchenknifes. Each stone did exactly what it was supposed to do. I now got 3 of them here and will supply with synthetics. When those are received I got a great set of stones - finally. I will of course add to my set along the way even though I really don't need to - I got what I need and I'm a happy camper.

... which reminds me. I got 12-15 poor jnats with me home as well. These I compared the high-end stones against. The result: those 12-15 stones will be giveaways at one point :whistling:

let the chefs in the kitchen trash them before you give them away :D

Latest posts

Back