Quantcast
Tip Work
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tip Work

Tip Work

When ever there is a post asking about a santoku, nakiri, or cleaver, the objection to those knives, is the lack of a tip.

The critical part of a knife to TK59, and others, is the tip. He has mentioned more then once, searching for the ideal tip, one that is not too thick or thin.

In a recent thread about 300mm gyutos, the main drawback mentioned was its inability to do tip work.

This leads to to the question, what is tip work? Is it peeling fruit, such as cantaloupe or pineapple? Is it thinly slicing an onion?

Jay

I use tip work when doing really fine dice on onion etc. when slices need to be thin and easy to manipulate. Accuracy and tight spots for me. I'm sure someone else will be able to explain it better.
    It's not the Answer it's the Experience

I thought tip work is anything where you use the tip of the knife to cut.

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    I thought tip work is anything where you use the tip of the knife to cut.
    Let me put it another way. My go to knife, the cleaver, doesn't have a pointed tip. What cuts can you make with a gyuto, that I cannot with a cleaver?

Jay

Mincing garlic is a big one for me. Also coring fruit (hulling strawberries, removing apple/ pear cores). Not a problem if you have other smaller/ thinner knives to grab, but it seems like a lot of the pros try and make do with as few knives as possible.

I use the tip for basically as much as I can. I don't like using the areas that far from the tip because it is harder to see them properly. The 3-4 inches from the tip and back are where I do most of my cutting, I dunno why, it's just a habit I guess

Quote Originally Posted by jaybett View Post
    This leads to to the question, what is tip work? Is it peeling fruit, such as cantaloupe or pineapple? Is it thinly slicing an onion?

Jay
    both examples are correct. atleast to me, tip work involves more precision and more control over your cuts as opposed to other knife work. I find 240 gyutos, 210 pettys and 150 pettys are what I use when im doing something where the tip of my knife is making the cuts. 150mm petty for in hand work. Cleavers are a totally different animal and the people who use cleavers are accustomed to making different movements/motions but getting similar results. A cleaver might feel awkward to those of us who primarily use gyutos but im sure cleaver tip work for somebody who uses a cleaver for the majority of their tasks isnt a big deal at all.

For me it would be small stuff like garlic and shallot.My arthritic wrists are not comfortable using the tip on a long knife as mentioned in the other thread.

I don't use the tip much at all, I find the area an few inches behind the tip get 90 % of my usage. My ideal line knife would have a takohikish tip. I can still thinly slice onions and garlic with any end. Any smaller produce I would use a petty for.

The tip is for 3 things:
    1. adding length to complete cuts, while keeping the extra length out of the way for normal work
    2. things you would normally do with a petty knife but don't want to switch knives
    3. Pushing food around

A chinese cleaver can do 99% what a chef's/gyuto can, it just takes a different technique.

+ Reply to Thread