Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting board dilemma, need some advice :)

Cutting board dilemma, need some advice :)

Little background:
    My kitchen is same size as a kitchen in a studio apartment in NYC. I have about 2x2ft working area. If I move microwave somewhere else, I may gain about 1x1 but it's in corner area, so not really going to be used for prep but more like storage.

I have a nice sani-tuff board that's 16x20 but 2 issues with it: it's heavy!!! and I can't clean it in kitchen sink because it's small and moving to the bathtub after use is ridiculous. I will have to cut it in 1/2 to fit.

My other cutting board is a 12 x 12 decent one. I don't know what it's made off but it's nice and soft (not bamboo). The reason I like it and it's my daily board is because it fits nicely in my space and being 1/2" thick I can wash it easily and then put it just above sink to store.

My other 2 boards (usually used for small mincing/etc) are bamboo and like 4x6 and maybe 6x8. They are small and very handy but are terrible for knives.

I am trying to get 1-2 nicer knives this year as funds allow, but then why have nice knives and crappy boards....

So here is my dilemma:

1. I need 2 smaller boards (beside sani-tuff that I will cut), what is the best choice that will be gentle/good on knives? Ideally, I would like them to be light as I have to move them often.
    2. I have another nice bamboo board but it's end grain bamboo (made glued together 1"x1/2inch pieces perpendicularly). Can it be saved or bamboo = total lost cause for cutting boards?
    3. What's the best way to cut sati-tuff (manual saw)

Any other ideas/advice?

Thanks!

Call David and have him make you a custom maple board, I believe his minimum thickness is 2 inches, which is still heavy, but probably lighter than the Sanituff.

Sanituff can be cut with a circular saw, jig saw, really any saw and the edges can be rounded. Sanituff boards are not bad, and can be trimmed to fit. I would toss the microwave, get rid of the "other" cutting boards, re-organize and try to get some more prep space.

I have never seen a kitchen that small, any chance you can take a pic, I am really curious.

Get a bigger kitchen.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I have a 12"x12"x1.5" endgrain maple BoardSMITH. I like it for small kitchens/counters where I might have to move it out of the way. Otherwise, just get a cheap edgegrain board. They aren't bad. I also still have an old bamboo board. I can tell my edge doesn't last anywhere near as long on it but I do use it occasionally.

Ok here are pics... The issue with microwave...lots of things sit on it/etc, so moving it won't really give me more work space since sink is interfering.
    Here is the kitchen... I have about a 1ft x 3 ft (deep) spot right of the stove but that's for my air pot + spices/grinders/etc....

2nd pic is of that (end-grain I suppose) bamboo board... it's nice with rubber feet/etc... But, i don't know if I can keep it and use with nicer knives...

Left kettle in for size

Get a folding table and use it as an island. Back in grad school, I was handed down a "game table." It's aobut 3'x3'. I still use it sometimes when I do a lot of prep and I have a lot of counterspace these days. Also, your bamboo board is edge grain.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Get a folding table and use it as an island. Also, your bamboo board is edge grain.
    +1

Or you could maybe put a board over the sink or stove, but you couldn't use that while the board is covering it. Is there any open space to put in a table for an island?

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Get a folding table and use it as an island. Back in grad school, I was handed down a "game table." It's aobut 3'x3'. I still use it sometimes when I do a lot of prep and I have a lot of counterspace these days. Also, your bamboo board is edge grain.
    I have a table I can use for prep, but I want to see if removing microwave will do anything. From what I see, likely not...

That bamboo being edge grain, does it help with it being softer perhaps and therefore gentler on the knives? Or is it still useless?

Quote Originally Posted by GlassEye View Post
    +1

Or you could maybe put a board over the sink or stove, but you couldn't use that while the board is covering it. Is there any open space to put in a table for an island?
    Not at all... to the left there is a fridge JUST fits and then windows and to the right oven, then 1ft for tools and another wall...

if I was to put table behind me(oven) i'd have to move it anytime I have to walk, so it's not an option.

The BoardSMITH board shown in pic is 12x12x1.5 Cherry with-out feet.
    Used daily, edge friendly, easy to wash and dry. always out, leans on the wall.