Quantcast
The Old Hickory post - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Old Hickory post

The pie cook is too hairy for me this time.

Those India stones were a pretty penny!! No wonder they got passed down until even today.

Gotta love an old hickory.

For Eamon.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    A clever cook can make good meat of a whetstone.” Erasmus

Problem solved.

When did the company stop using the "Shapleigh's Hammer Forged / 1843" stamp?

Here's why I ask. I got this from a lady at a Farmer's Market recently, she wanted it sharpened, it's her main kitchen knife from her grandmother:

well Shapleigh the hardware retailer was around to 1962 but the some brands or trademarks were sold or drop and change to Kleen Kutter one was in 1923 then name changes like Norvell Shapleigh and there are some markings going to 1934
    Ontario started the old hickory line in 1923 but the Shapleigh stamp was still being used well in to the 1930's so
    the moral of the story is Trade mark .
    1923- but they still stamp there knives after it was sold to Ontario but we are talking a bout a hardware retailer .
    A clever cook can make good meat of a whetstone.” Erasmus

sweet, you the man!!!

I can't believe this ladys just using it, no big deal, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I felt privileged to sharpen it, and it was a cool experience, just thinking that I was taking part in an almost 100-year cutlery continuum. A knife with the life every knife deserves.