Quantcast
Newbie Cutting Board Question

Thread: Newbie Cutting Board Question

Newbie Cutting Board Question

Just a random question this morning...

Is the wood for some cutting boards stabilized? If so is there danger to getting some of that chem stuff in to food?
    Am I the only one who searched for The Edge from U2 and ended up here?

Quote Originally Posted by Still-edo View Post
    Just a random question this morning...

Is the wood for some cutting boards stabilized? If so is there danger to getting some of that chem stuff in to food?
    I cannot conceive of any respected cutting board maker using stabilized wood for a board. Having said that, I doubt that once the resins used in stabilization have cured that it would pose any problems. After all, Epicurean boards (not recommmended) use "a unique blend of wood fibers, layered together and pressed with a food-safe resin to form a sheet".

Rick

Ah that makes sense. Thanks!
    Am I the only one who searched for The Edge from U2 and ended up here?

Still Plays With Blocks
    Home Furnishings Capital of the World, High Point, NC
    Stabilized wood would be much to hard for a cutting board so I doubt strongly if anyone would use it. Then there would be the problem of cost and finding a food safe glue that would stick to the stabilized wood.

Any board that uses any kind of resins has the chance of some of those chips flaking off into your food. If they are food safe or not is not something I can speak with authority about.

On the other hand, there are some cutting board makers who use a resin hardener on their cutting surfaces to keep the grain from raising up when washing.

"a unique blend of wood fibers, layered together and pressed with a food-safe resin to form a sheet". Just another way of saying it is a water-proof MDF, wood powder pressed together with resins.