pedigree.....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgraypots

Reaction score
5-7-12-12inchchefs.jpg.scaled1000.jpg

I'm not sure of this knife's pedigree. 12" blade, tapered tang, no marking at all and the handle scales appear to have been replaced. It was considerably more blue with patina when I got it this morning. Anyone have a clue as to the maker?

looks to be American made 1960's or 70's more then likely 1095. Around that time there were 5 or 6 major manufacturers of kitchen cutlery in America that made these types of knives, many of which they put no marks on or were made as private labels. Dexter did lots of private labels, but usually still had serial numbers stamped on the wood, Ontario knife works, Clyde cutlery, Robeson out of Rochester NY , village Blacksmith out of Wisconsin and Bridell cutlery co. I'm almost positive it's American it just has that look. Those nickel pins and handle actually could very well be original. I have quite a few whose handles and rivets look new , but are in fact fifty plus years old. I am sorry I can't give you a definitive maker.

looks to be American made 1960's or 70's more then likely 1095. Around that time there were 5 or 6 major manufacturers of kitchen cutlery in America that made these types of knives, many of which they put no marks on or were made as private labels. Dexter did lots of private labels, but usually still had serial numbers stamped on the wood, Ontario knife works, Clyde cutlery, Robeson out of Rochester NY , village Blacksmith out of Wisconsin and Bridell cutlery co. I'm almost positive it's American it just has that look. Those nickel pins and handle actually could very well be original. I have quite a few whose handles and rivets look new , but are in fact fifty plus years old. I am sorry I can't give you a definitive maker.

You are the Yoda of the knife world. I was expecting your post. It is amazing your knowledge on various subjects.

lol

I forgot Cattaraugus. There were a few others such as parker and camillus also, but the one above were the biggies at the time. If the handle dramatically tapers from the front rivet to the blade then it is more then likely a Robeson as most of the other makers had as a rule blockier handles, there are exceptions, but not many.

You are the Yoda of the knife world. I was expecting your post. It is amazing your knowledge on various subjects.

My passion was always vintage knives, i know enough about Japanese knives to know I don't know anything about Japanese knives. For the most part I couldn't tell you about, grind, edge geometry, steel , heat treat and any of the other things you guys talk about. I never owned more than a dozen and a half Japanese knives and I almost never used any of them. I was into the vintage, so that was my focus. I can tell you if it's good to cut with and if I like it, That's it.

Thanks Son. The handle is pretty blocky. I cleaned it up some yesterday and used it to slice tomatoes and chop onions for cheeseburgers and all I can say is -- 12" of blade is a lot to wield! No light saber here! Still, it's fun to have a chef's knife this big. I plan on going through my blocks and scales and find something cool to replace these with, maybe something with more chatoyance. Thanks for all your help; I figured you'd be the go-to guy.

Back