Ultimatum Redux

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salty dog

Reaction score
Mario modded this Ultimatum

IMG_6925.jpg

IMG_6928.jpg

That is an awesome handle you have there Scott. Is that the 52100 version?

What did Mario do? Did he modify the blade apart from polishing it? Did it improve the performance much?

Re-ground it. Gave it the Mario grind but on a thinner knife. Mirror polish and new handle. It's a completely different knife. In appearance and performance.

So I guess your ultimatum to Mario was to take your "Ultimatum" and turn it into the ultimate "Ultimatum" which ultimately he did. cool:

That looks good, but why go through all the steps to correct one of these?

Objectively, I wouldn't describe it as a "sow's ear." It seems to be a very decent knife OOB, but the improvements no doubt vault it up a couple of notches.

Is that a saying? Never heard it before. Knife looks neat, though I'm not really sure it's really an Ultimatum anymore. Maybe an Ulti-Mario?

Looks great. Salty, in what ways do you think the original ultimatum was lacking? Which aspects of performance? Lastly, what do think of the how the steel is heat treated?

Last edited:
Looks great. Salty, in what ways do you think the original ultimatum was lacking? Which aspects of performance? Lastly, what do think of the how the steel is heat treated?

I can say that the 19c27 had a good HT.I was very impressed with 19c27 but I did not have any long term use.I am surprised that 19c27 is not used more often.I will have to purchase some and make a batch.

I can say that the 19c27 had a good HT.I was very impressed with 19c27 but I did not have any long term use.I am surprised that 19c27 is not used more often.I will have to purchase some and make a batch.

I know it's probably been beat to death but the 19c27 in the suisin IH is really killer. What ever it is that they do, they do it right. If and when you get comfortable with 19c27 I will be ordering a blade so please please keep us posted =)

I know it's probably been beat to death but the 19c27 in the suisin IH is really killer. What ever it is that they do, they do it right. If and when you get comfortable with 19c27 I will be ordering a blade so please please keep us posted =)

I read posts that the suisin IH was made of 19c27,does suisin say that some were on there sight.I guess I will do some research.

Oh, now you make me want ecchef's IH yanagi even more. Grrr.

Are you doing the HT on these, Mario?

I am having Brad Stallsmith @ Peters HT do my blades.My WIFE won't let me kick her car out of the garage to give me the space I need:wink:

I am having Brad Stallsmith @ Peters HT do my blades.My WIFE won't let me kick her car out of the garage to give me the space I need:wink:

Then you need a bigger garage... or start ht'ing in the livingroom.

Haha. Well, at least you get to have a nice grinder. Is it safe to assume Mr. Stallsmith knows his way around 19C27?

Nice re-finishing job on that Ultimatum, Mario - looks Beaut!

Salty - we'd all love to see some vids of how it performs. Especially thoughts on before and after.

It begs the question - considering the price of the knife new f/ Mark, and then adding Mario's fees for re-finishing and a new handle, does the total cost justify the end result? Compared to other knives that wouldn't require such re-finishing? I'm curious, because I purchased an Ultimatum in 52100, but returned it because I wasn't happy with the knife for many reasons, level of finish being one of them.

I'd have no issue paying $350 for that knife as is.

Back