New knife day, and an (almost) complete Hattori KD family

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a.lber.to

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Today is a good knife day! Thanks to a tip from a very helpful forum member, who managed to get himself one of the Hattoris I had tracked down in Tokyo, last week I was able to buy a 135mm petty Hattori KD knife, which I just received from the US. So the family is now almost complete:
FiveHattori.jpg

Hi Res - Very Hi Res

Now, while I can rationalize the absence of the 240mm gyuto, thanks to the 210mm and the 270mm gyutos, I really must find one of those Hattori KD 70mm paring knives... :D

In the meantime, I also need to find the courage to polish and re-etch the 210mm gyuto and the santoku - maybe next weekend... :scared4:

It is pretty crazy that after so many people looking for KDs you found so many. Have you used them much yet?

Well, the motherload was is Japan, though the petty ended up coming from California. :)

As to using them, yes: I used three of them thus far, except the 270mm gyuto and the 135mm petty. Both are still in their Out Of The Box condition, and will require sharpening before I use them...

Looks really good. Congrats.
Really nice family photo.

I miss KD in my own collection.

Cool, now all you gotta do is rehandle em...

Frankly, I do not mind the linen micarta handles, at least not thus far. This said, does anyone have pictures of rehandled KDs? I am curious of what they would look like...

Frankly, I do not mind the linen micarta handles, at least not thus far. This said, does anyone have pictures of rehandled KDs? I am curious of what they would look like...

Congratulations Alberto!

I have never seen a KD in person, but if they were mine, I would keep them original and leave the handles alone (unless they are truly uncomfortable).

Edit: Not that they couldn't be made even better looking and/or more comfortable, just that they wouldn't be original any longer.

I don't know, the kd handles are contoured perfectly imo, but they would look rocking with some exhibition grade ironwood.

Very nice collection! If I am ever in France I am stoping by.

Take a look at the rehandle work that Dave does on the group buy for what is possible.

I have NO IDEA! I always wondered why the handle of the 150mm Utility is different from all the rest...

Really really amazing collection. I for one hope you leave them original. Very very nice!

Unless they had two in stock, which is entirely possible, that is the one I bought... :)

I almost didn't get the joke!!! :doublethumbsup:

That is an impressive set of KD's.........They do live up to the hype,and now I want to kick myself in the A$$ for selling mine.

Wow. i would take this over any american made knives, regardless of the prices.

I agree that it does not look the prettiest, but it is one of the most functional handle materials around, from a practical perspective. I suspect that this is why Hattori chose it, to meke a very functional tool which could be used in a professional environment...

I would rehandle.
These knives would look awesome with some new shoes!
:)

The problem with these knives are:
If you use or rehandle them, they will drop in value :)

If you bought them for investment, but them in a safe.
If you gonna abuse em: rehandle !!

:)

I wouldn't rehandle them. I quite like linen micarta personally and it isn't like they just threw on a cheap pakkawood handle. I think it can take a beating a bit better than the types of wood that are generally used in rehandling projects. Perhaps rehandle a different knife and see what you think of that if you are considering doing it to the KDs.

Back