Quantcast
Konosuke Fujiyama Kiritsuke Gyuto ...ramblings and pics.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Konosuke Fujiyama Kiritsuke Gyuto ...ramblings and pics.

Konosuke Fujiyama Kiritsuke Gyuto ...ramblings and pics.

Ok, so here's my new 240mm Kono Kiri gyuto and my initial impressions using it in a pro. kitchen as my main tool. As I already have had the reg. version as my house knife for a couple months, I knew pretty much what to expect from Konosuke in regards to fit/finish/etc...ie.fairly close to flawless. A couple hours into my first shift with the knife, I looked down to notice that I'd somehow managed to break off the very tip of the tip doing something.., but no worries I tell myself, my first trip to the stones should erase this unseen fail on my part (it did)."So what's up with the tip", my co-workers ask...
    Here's what this profile is good for:
    -brunoise
    -julienne
    -chiffonade basil
    -moving through pots and similar foodstuffs that I typically use my suji for.
    -dicing onions...here is where it really shines..just easy and very precise!
    -portioning cooked meats like pork tenderloin..again a job I'd typically use my suji for but didn't need to break it out.

I'm guessing that the idea behind the design is a cross between a flatter profiled blade like a nakiri and a gyuto. So, I reckon it's no wonder it really shines with veg prep...kinda like a long nakiri with a wicked fine point. As a side note I did dremel and then sand/polish the choil (which was beveled inward, but not rounded all the way) as well as lightly sand down the handle for a smoother feel. All said, I'm very happy with the knife so far and it really fits my needs in this particular kitchen. Thanks for looking .

Very good photos.

Nice and juicy knife.

Thanks for sharing.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I think I am becoming a fan of this style. It seems to make sense for almost all things. I am just not sold on it yet.

Great write up. Nice patina.

nice review! nice knife too. I would like to try a kiritsuke sometime, looks like alot fun.

It looks narrower than its gyuto counterpart. What's the difference in height between the two?

Quote Originally Posted by dmccurtis View Post
    It looks narrower than its gyuto counterpart. What's the difference in height between the two?
    yes. after taking a second look at the pics I noticed it also. that spine isnt a thick as I figured it would be. which isnt a bad thing at all.

I do like the look of a well used knife. Character.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

The kiri is about 4.5mm shorter at the heel compared to the gyuto version. I also just noticed the kanji is slightly different on the bit that's not the standard Konosuke....perhaps another person worked on this? I'm not sure how that process works.

Nice. Did a great job fixing your tip too!

Whats the difference in performance between the white 1 and 2 fujiyamas?