Quantcast
Konosuke Fujiyama Kiritsuke Gyuto ...ramblings and pics. - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Konosuke Fujiyama Kiritsuke Gyuto ...ramblings and pics.

Sponsors
    this is one thing that always weirds me out... i dont leave my carbon knives with patina, nor do any of the chefs i trained under in Japan... i understand some people like it here, but it will never appeal to me

-Michael

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    this is one thing that always weirds me out... i dont leave my carbon knives with patina, nor do any of the chefs i trained under in Japan... i understand some people like it here, but it will never appeal to me
    I can't agree more!!
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

I understand those who prefer no patina. For those who do, I think it is important to make sure you are achieving that and not seeing rust. It may be the lighting of the original pics but I don't think that is patina, I think it is the beginning (or worse) of a rusty blade.

Just my 2 cents, but seeing that on my blades would make me immediately take down the surface and refinish.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

shinny luster is so much better than yellowish green ore residue.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    I agree to a point, but do you dislike all patinas or just some? I can't help but appreciate some of the ones in the patina thread..

Sponsors
    while some look cool... it will never be something on my knives

I personally don't understand not wanting patina. it gives the knife character and the contrast between a well-patina'ed blade face and a mirror polished edge is extremely aesthetic.

That said, the patina in the pics above has gone too far. I take any orange off immediately with a green scrubby.
    -Matt

I like my misono bc its dark grey but has a polished edge. Doesn't look any better than right after its sharpened.

same for me, i enjoy looking at some of the patina pics in the patina thread, but i don't think that i will let this happen to my knives...

+ Reply to Thread