Occurred to me

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattrud

Founding Member
Reaction score
I brought my Kramer to work today. I don't give it a ton of use at work. Honestly just would never leave it here. Putting the whole visual aspect of the damascus aside it is the best performing knife I have ever used. Looking at all aspects of performance, f/f, blah blah blah it is the best overall knife I have ever used or handled. Some knives have better steel, some have equal grinds, yada yada... but as a complete knife the Kramer wins, and that is before I factor in the visual aspect of the knife. And I have used one or two knives in my time. Not bragging, just wanted to throw it out there, especially for all those Kramer haters.

Coming from you, that says a ton. I myself am not a Kramer hater, but atm he just seems "out of reach" for me.

That is some high praise. I wouldn't say I'm a Kramer hater but I have a hard time fathoming how a Kramer could be a better performer than anything else out there.

Matt, totally agree with you. I have many knives I enjoy using, Kramer and Rodrigue come to mind, but my Kramer is fun to use and a joy as well. It's a shame they have become so expensive due to the bling effect, I wish everyone could experience one. If I didn't get in before the huge price jump, I would've never paid the current prices.

That is some high praise. I wouldn't say I'm a Kramer hater but I have a hard time fathoming how a Kramer could be a better performer than anything else out there.

I am saying as an overall knife. every aspect, my personal kramer(yes it is not a normal kramer) is the best. Other knives I have used may have been better in specific aspects. But with taking every aspect into account (besides visual, which the kramer just kills it) it is still my favorite. and many things are personal opinion. And honestly the knife gets a huge leg up in the fact that I can not point out one single construction flaw or tweak it may need.

I really should use the knife more.

Me too. I can pm my address. :justkidding:

It's funny how you like something so much you want to keep it nice and "safe". When it screams it doesn't want to be safe.

If you had a chance to use my "custom" Kramer meiji I feel you would change your opinion.Also Matt's is a custom.

Muahhahaha. You are blind my friend.

Its like this:
You just met this one :)
charlize-theron-2.jpg

And you are in love. you live like this for a couple of years and suddenly you realise shes changed to this:
12037955_gal.jpg

But one day my friend you turn a corner and meet this beauty:
megan-fox-transformers.jpg

and you are once more in love (Devin Thomas).

But the week later you met this one:
+Jessica-Alba-naughty-hot-shot+(2).jpg

and for a third time you fall in love (Bill Burke)...

And as you been away from your Kramer for awhile, she turns back into:
charlize_theron_diet.jpg

The moral of this story is: There is no "the one". There is "the ones" :)
And if you have "the one", you always gonna cheat with your Carter:

divine-brown-mug-431x500.jpg

OD, I think you just found bill and devin some new profile pics!

Ill get Bill and Devin to use the pics, if you can make Carter appear on the forum with his profile pic ;)

Gotta love Carter. She's ugly, she is cheap, but she's a professional and will do the dirty work no other would do... :)

Strong post OD. But he makes a good point. we all have preferences, rate certain aspects of a knife higher then others. Or we just get excited for something new.

Thats what i have been doing recently with some newer knives then my kramer. But when I went back to it yesterday. it was one of those O heck moments.

TK- If I had the balls to ship that knife, I would send it to you.

@OD: rofl2:
@mattrud: I don't blame you. I have a tough time convincing myself to ship any knife, let alone a Kramer. :)

The blade shape on most Kramers is so different from a gyuto I find it interesting so much love on a Japanese Knife oriented forum. I read once that someone came in to his shop and advised him to shape it like a certain sail boat, I assume the sail.

Can the Kramer owners give any idea what the grind is like? I was wondering if it is symmetrical on each side or what it is like.

David

The blade shape on most Kramers is so different from a gyuto I find it interesting so much love on a Japanese Knife oriented forum. I read once that someone came in to his shop and advised him to shape it like a certain sail boat, I assume the sail.

Can the Kramer owners give any idea what the grind is like? I was wondering if it is symmetrical on each side or what it is like.

David

Matt's does not have the standard Kramer profile. He requested a profile that matched his Shigefusa gyuto.

@mattrud: I don't blame you. I have a tough time convincing myself to ship any knife, let alone a Kramer. :)

I don't get nervous when I ship my knives out...I do get nervous when I ship someone else's knives back to them though.

Matt's does not have the standard Kramer profile. He requested a profile that matched his Shigefusa gyuto.

Special specs sends a message to the maker that you know what you're talking about. Not to mention the increased communication. That's where I made my mistake. Idid one of those "leave it in your hands" things the first time around and it bit me in the a$$. Second time around was a very different story. The second Kramer easily ranks in my top three of all time. Where, depends on my mood.

I have only 1 think I can say about this. Other than some hot/not so hot chicks.

:needpics

ty for the pic's Salty. I can never get enough looking at a custom Kramer.

I no longer own a Kramer. I'm kinda regretting it because I turned around and bought several knives I don't use instead of one.

+1. I just sent out my Ino and my chef's Kono to Dave, and when the ups guy asked for the value, I told him- $800. We both looked at eachother. And I felt a little like maybe I should just take a train down to PA... But I watched him pack them, and he did a great job, and I still spent the next three days til I got Dave's invoice wishing I'd just hand delivered them myself.... And now I'm giving the Ino to my girl for her new kitchen gig... Still in the family I guess?

Back