Chef's Knife (Gyuto) with Sheep Horn (9 3/4")

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oivind_dahle

Banned
Reaction score
http://www.epicedge.com/pics/90077_1_b.jpg
90077_1_b.jpg

Pro:
Ready to go

Cons:
It might be a little more than your average Konosuke HD

http://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=90077

I love this knife. Seriously Bill I want one similar to this. I can see it in my dreams.:countsheep:

No ;)

In my honest opinion you should not buy one Bill Burke custom knife!

You should buy alot of them :)

Hehe

That mental illness... sure puts food on the table for a selected few makers. :)

Some walk and talk, I just dance and sing :)

I wish the knife makers did make some money. However I feel the custom makers can't make a decent living out of it. Thats a shame!!!
I will NEVER bargain on a custom knife. Ive paid what ever Bill, Marko and Devin asked for. I hope this makers appreciate me as a customer the way I appreciate their skills and knives :)

Retail therapy works! I have a tendancy to get more steel after particularly hard months.

Is there a measurable price mark up at EE vs a custom from Burke himself? I do realise the lack of a wait list is worth quite a fair bit in terms of a convenience pricing scale... Just curious how much more in actuality are you paying for the lack of a wait time.

Is there a measurable price mark up at EE vs a custom from Burke himself? I do realise the lack of a wait list is worth quite a fair bit in terms of a convenience pricing scale... Just curious how much more in actuality are you paying for the lack of a wait time.

Not much mark up at all so if you like the knife EE has ge it...note you do lose a small piece of your soul when you buy from EE

I can see some buying customs from stores, but however the fun in buying custom knives is the waiting and the dialogue back and forth with the maker.
This part is probably one of the most important tasks for a smith, that he is able to speak to and discuss the knife with the customer. However Im a firm believer in letting the maker have free hands to make the knife.

My story with Bill:

When I first saw Colins suji I was stunned by its beauty. I wanted one the same way, however there is an unwritten rule on the forum that you cannot buy a relplica of another forum members knife. I contacted Bill 2 years ago asking about a knife. During that period we have had a lot of mails, and he has given me a lot of info and thoughts about the knife. I decided to order several from him, and just 2 months ago we changed one from san mai into dragon breath.

I have lots of wishes and some of these Bill said he would do or try to do. I know he got a lot of setbacks as my wishes was really hard to do. But he keeps me informed and I love getting mails from him. Last night I got some pics of our/his latest go at a knife in dragon breath, and I hope he wil share some pics of the knife with you, as far as I know its his first of this kind.....

Sneak peak in the early process of this knife:
standard.jpg

Anyway I have 3 others in the making, but these 3 I hope to pick up personally maybe next year. I can wait for a long time. I have knives and the fun part is the waiting and the talking to Bill :) Knowing Bill tried at least 20 times on the other knives makes em rather unique, and I know he will succeed, and then I will have knives that are truly masterpieces.

If you consider a knife from Bill, order one and start the fun part of talking and discussing knives with him. I consider the last 2 years to be really awesome, and when you finally get your knives they will mean a lot more to you than if you just bought it in a store....

So are you saying that you kept changing your mind just to keep talking to Bill?:clown:

Just kidding great write up, and can't wait to have a custom made. (one day):cool2:

I know! Those are beautiful!

I need your advice! :hungry:

After a self imposed "one knife per year" abstinence and saving for quite a while I decided to get my "The Annual knife" so... I decided that If was only able to purchase one per year, I better make it count!

Long story short, I pulled the trigger on the Sheep Horn gyuto 9 3/4 with Hon warikomi 52100 carbon and 416 stainless a few minutes ago... after much admiring and pondering.

So my question to all is what kind of device should I use to keep this marvel while not in use? I would love Bill to construct something once my bank account has recuperated.. What kind of materials are available and/or possible for it? I am open to suggestions! :spin chair:

Thanks!

After a self imposed "one knife per year" abstinence and saving for quite a while I decided to get my "The Annual knife" so... I decided that If was only able to purchase one per year, I better make it count!

Long story short, I pulled the trigger on the Sheep Horn gyuto 9 3/4 with Hon warilkomi 52100 carbon and 416 stainless a few minutes ago... after much admiring and pondering.

So my question to all is what kind of device should I use to keep this marvel while not in use? I would love Bill to construct something once my bank account has recuperated.. What kind of materials are available and/or possible for it? I am open to suggestions! :spin chair:

Thanks!

Congratulations on your new knife!

Rick

Thank you! You don't know how many times I looked, pondered at the site...

I was struck by it..... I would return and half wished it had sold but I silently knew I would be sad if this were to happen... I felt it was s lot of money but then thought if I ever were to splurge then it should be on this one.. I believe Bill's work is stellar! :D

Now the wait... I am very excited by the prospect... :)

http://www.epicedge.com/pics/90077_1_b.jpg

Hope it comes well packed! I better up my home insurance! :pirate1:
I believe I now need a moat and killer pirañas !!! :

Long story short, I pulled the trigger on the Sheep Horn gyuto 9 3/4 with Hon warikomi 52100 carbon and 416 stainless a few minutes ago... after much admiring and pondering.

Thanks!

A safe.

Latest posts

Back