Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife Orders, Prices, Policies for 2012 – Effective on May 14

Knife Orders, Prices, Policies for 2012 – Effective on May 14

Based on my experience from the past year, I have decided to create an option for purchasing my knives without normally going through a custom-order process. I will be offering stock knives based on popular requests and preferences. These knives will be added periodically to my Online Store. People can be notified on availability if they choose.

I think this approach will allow me to streamline my work and make best use of my time, maintain high quality, and to provide a better customer service.

Stock Knives – popular types and sizes, new and experimental work

• 52100 Steel: $1.70/mm on the edge
    • Powder Stainless Steel: $1.75/mm on the edge
    • DT carbon Damascus: $3.75/mm on the edge

Handle Material

• A Grade Cocobolo
    • A Grade Ebony
    • A Grade Tiger maple
    • Other choices of wood will be added in time; as well as some premium woods will used (price will be adjusted)
    • A Grade Buffalo horn ferrule
    • Nickel silver spacer

Handle Shape
    • Octagonal
    • D-shape

Sayas***
    • Poplar saya: $.35/mm on the edge
    • Maple/Walnut saya: $.50/mm on the edge

The only customization available is a selection of a choice of wood for saya

Custom Knives - made to a customer’s specification*

• 52100 Steel: $2.00/mm on the edge
    • Powder Stainless: $2.05/mm on the edge
    • DT carbon Damascus: $4.05/mm on the edge

Handle Material
    • Grade AAA cocobolo,
    • Grade AAA Ebony
    • Grade AAA Tiger Maple
    • Other woods will be added in time
    • Grade A-AAA Buffalo horn ferrule
    • Nickel silver spacer/s

Handle Material Upgrade

• Koa: $25
    • Arizona Desert Ironwood: $30
    • Pure Silver Spacer (2.5mm): Market Price
    • DT Mokume spacer (2.5mm): $10
    • DT Mokume End Cap (5mm): $20

Handle Material Credit: $20 (people provide their own handle material) **

Handle Shape
    • Octagonal
    • D-shape
    • Oval

Sayas***
    • Poplar saya: .35/mm on the edge
    • Maple/Walnut saya: .50/mm on the edge
    • Matching set with a handle: Market price

The Process - All work is done by me on premises
    • Profiling
    • Heat treating to 62-63RC for best combination of edge stability and wear resistance (8- Step process, takes between 5-6 hours to complete)
    • Testing for hardness (RC) on a Wilson Rockwell hardness tester
    • Rough grinding
    • Hand-shaping on Japanese water stones for final geometry
    • Testing for cutting performance (sharpness, food release)
    • Blade hand- finishing to 800 grit finish
    • Hand sharpening

• Handle– handles are sanded to 1500-2000 grit and buffed or oil finished
    • Sayas are hand-carved for tight fit, hand sanded to 400-600 grit and finished with a protective coating

Ordering
    • Place your order online and receive a confirmation
    • There is a waiting list
    • No deposits will be required at a time of placing an order
    • Payment in full when I start working on a knife
    • Free Shipping

Customer Service

• Order confirmation, wait time, availability (phone and email)
    • All work comes with 100 percent satisfaction guaranty****

* Some limitations will apply
    ** Wood has to be stabilized by K&G
    ***These prices apply only to MT knives
    ****Knife must be returned within 7 days from the day received; no sharpening allowed

Thank you for your support
    Marko

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Excellent list of details! Much appreciated.

What is the current estimated wait list time?

Thanks!

Is there a discounted pricing right now then if we jump on board before June 14?

Lol, no need to go through the hassle of adding them to your online store, just do a quick list here and I am sure anything you put up will be gone quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepCSweede View Post
    Is there a discounted pricing right now then if we jump on board before June 14?
    Unfortunately, no. I think the no-deposit approach will work best for everybody, as it's less stress on the maker and a buyer can always change their mind if they like.

I am going to use the time before May 14 to wrap up all my long overdue custom orders.

I am going to contact people who I have added to a list in these past few months, but haven't' taken a deposit from. Once I have an idea who is in, I will estimate wait time based on my current production level (3-4 knives per 6-day week)

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

Just want to add that there is no difference in terms of workmanship between stock and custom knives - same HT, grind, fit and finish.

M

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I like it. It sets a tone for the customer to know what they are paying for. It also sets a process of familiar work, to make a smoother and quicker process for you.

This is probably a custom order question- but are you doing any styles other than gyuto's? I'm leaning more towards picking up a gyuto style kiritsuke lately, be cool if it had your signature on it

Sounds good marko! I cant wait to see some of your stock knives go up for sale. Please update us on what dimensions we can expect for this stock line.

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    This is probably a custom order question- but are you doing any styles other than gyuto's? I'm leaning more towards picking up a gyuto style kiritsuke lately, be cool if it had your signature on it
    Custom implies custom profile as well. The profile has to make sense and I have to be comfortable with it, but other than that, no limitation. In worse case, I will explain why I would not do it and offer an alternative.

M