Knife Orders, Prices, Policies for 2012 – Effective on May 14

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
Based on my experience from the past year, I have decided to create an option for purchasing my knives without normally going through a custom-order process. I will be offering stock knives based on popular requests and preferences. These knives will be added periodically to my Online Store. People can be notified on availability if they choose.

I think this approach will allow me to streamline my work and make best use of my time, maintain high quality, and to provide a better customer service.

Stock Knives – popular types and sizes, new and experimental work

• 52100 Steel: $1.70/mm on the edge
• Powder Stainless Steel: $1.75/mm on the edge
• DT carbon Damascus: $3.75/mm on the edge

Handle Material

• A Grade Cocobolo
• A Grade Ebony
• A Grade Tiger maple
• Other choices of wood will be added in time; as well as some premium woods will used (price will be adjusted)
• A Grade Buffalo horn ferrule
• Nickel silver spacer

Handle Shape
• Octagonal
• D-shape

Sayas***
• Poplar saya: $.35/mm on the edge
• Maple/Walnut saya: $.50/mm on the edge

The only customization available is a selection of a choice of wood for saya

Custom Knives - made to a customer’s specification*

• 52100 Steel: $2.00/mm on the edge
• Powder Stainless: $2.05/mm on the edge
• DT carbon Damascus: $4.05/mm on the edge

Handle Material
• Grade AAA cocobolo,
• Grade AAA Ebony
• Grade AAA Tiger Maple
• Other woods will be added in time
• Grade A-AAA Buffalo horn ferrule
• Nickel silver spacer/s

Handle Material Upgrade

• Koa: $25
• Arizona Desert Ironwood: $30
• Pure Silver Spacer (2.5mm): Market Price
• DT Mokume spacer (2.5mm): $10
• DT Mokume End Cap (5mm): $20

Handle Material Credit: $20 (people provide their own handle material) **

Handle Shape
• Octagonal
• D-shape
• Oval

Sayas***
• Poplar saya: .35/mm on the edge
• Maple/Walnut saya: .50/mm on the edge
• Matching set with a handle: Market price

The Process - All work is done by me on premises
• Profiling
• Heat treating to 62-63RC for best combination of edge stability and wear resistance (8- Step process, takes between 5-6 hours to complete)
• Testing for hardness (RC) on a Wilson Rockwell hardness tester
• Rough grinding
• Hand-shaping on Japanese water stones for final geometry
• Testing for cutting performance (sharpness, food release)
• Blade hand- finishing to 800 grit finish
• Hand sharpening

• Handle– handles are sanded to 1500-2000 grit and buffed or oil finished
• Sayas are hand-carved for tight fit, hand sanded to 400-600 grit and finished with a protective coating

Ordering
• Place your order online and receive a confirmation
• There is a waiting list
• No deposits will be required at a time of placing an order
• Payment in full when I start working on a knife
• Free Shipping

Customer Service

• Order confirmation, wait time, availability (phone and email)
• All work comes with 100 percent satisfaction guaranty****

* Some limitations will apply
** Wood has to be stabilized by K&G
***These prices apply only to MT knives
****Knife must be returned within 7 days from the day received; no sharpening allowed

Thank you for your support
Marko

Excellent list of details! Much appreciated.

What is the current estimated wait list time?

Thanks!

Is there a discounted pricing right now then if we jump on board before June 14?

Lol, no need to go through the hassle of adding them to your online store, just do a quick list here and I am sure anything you put up will be gone quickly.

Is there a discounted pricing right now then if we jump on board before June 14?

Unfortunately, no. I think the no-deposit approach will work best for everybody, as it's less stress on the maker and a buyer can always change their mind if they like.

I am going to use the time before May 14 to wrap up all my long overdue custom orders.

I am going to contact people who I have added to a list in these past few months, but haven't' taken a deposit from. Once I have an idea who is in, I will estimate wait time based on my current production level (3-4 knives per 6-day week)

M

Just want to add that there is no difference in terms of workmanship between stock and custom knives - same HT, grind, fit and finish.

M

I like it. It sets a tone for the customer to know what they are paying for. It also sets a process of familiar work, to make a smoother and quicker process for you.

This is probably a custom order question- but are you doing any styles other than gyuto's? I'm leaning more towards picking up a gyuto style kiritsuke lately, be cool if it had your signature on it:)

Sounds good marko! I cant wait to see some of your stock knives go up for sale. Please update us on what dimensions we can expect for this stock line.

This is probably a custom order question- but are you doing any styles other than gyuto's? I'm leaning more towards picking up a gyuto style kiritsuke lately, be cool if it had your signature on it:)

Custom implies custom profile as well. The profile has to make sense and I have to be comfortable with it, but other than that, no limitation. In worse case, I will explain why I would not do it and offer an alternative.

M

Wel, there goes the potential $250 150 mm petty. Nevertheless, a Marko store, where you can pick up something off the shelf will be cool. Of course, you're still going to want to be one of the first people through the door . . .

Sounds good, Marko! Looking forward to seeing the new knives you will be making.

Thanks guys,

Stock knives I am planning to offer in following ranges:
Petties - 150-180mm on the edge
Gyutos - 180-275mm on the edge
Sujis- 210-300mm on the edge

I will make them in batches of 3-4 of the same type and lengh.

Asymmetrically ground knives will be for right or left-hand use. There will be some experimental single beveled knives down the road as well.

M

Thanks guys,

Stock knives I am planning to offer will be in a following ranges:
Petties - 150-180mm on the edge
Gyutos - 180-275mm on the edge
Sujis- 210-300mm on the edge

I will make them in batches of 3-4 of the same type.

Asymmetrically ground knives will be for right or left-hand use. There will be some experimental single beveled knives down the road.

M

That sounds great, Marko. Any idea on when we should expect the first batch? Also I assume it's on a first-come first-served basis, yes?

Nice and clear policies, chaotic people like myself should follow your example :) Quick question since shapes were mentioned: What ever happened to that prototype of a petty-honesuki hybrid you made at one time?

Stefan

... Any idea on when we should expect the first batch? Also I assume it's on a first-come first-served basis, yes?

I will heat treat the first 4 stock knives sometimes next week. I will work on them along the custom orders, but custom will be a priority, of course.

I am going to work on the web site's order form over this weekend. It will be up and running on Monday.

I will be in touch with everybody who has gotten on the waiting list up to now over the weekend as well.

Stefan, that knife is floating in the shop somewhere. As for making another one, I am not sure about utility, but garasuki for sure and honesuki a strong maybe. Both would be in 150-180mm range.

M

Really exciting news! Your knives are some of the most elegantly sexy pieces out there. Thanks for letting us know how it's going to work.

I am trying to figure out how to get the cash to make one of your knives, well, one of mine. I certainly need to buy one in the near future.

$1.70 a mm seems a bit low for your quality of work,you need to raise your prices brother!

$1.70 a mm seems a bit low for your quality of work,you need to raise your prices brother!

Thanks, Mario -

I will keep them for 2012. In some ways, this will force me to try to be more efficient - somethings I have struggled all along.

In any event, it's in writing now. :)

M

Anybody who is ready to spend $200 on a mass-produced petty would be nuts not to spend an extra $100 for a Tsourkan 180. I should get on the list.

Any idea what you will be calling the "standard" (stock) line? Hoss has ITK...

Any idea what you will be calling the "standard" (stock) line? Hoss has ITK...

I don't have a name for it, and frankly, I don't see a need.

There is no difference between ready-made (stock) and custom knives in terms of finish or workmanship, however, stock knives will be available only periodically on a first come first served basis, and there will be no customization on those except for a saya (even that might not available at times if my workload is too high).

Moreover, stock knives will be available in one type and length at a time, usually 3-4 knives. I am hoping that working on same type and length will help me to improve efficiency.

Hope this makes sense.

M

Just want to add that stock knives will be offered with premium wood handles as well. The upgraded versions will be prices higher, factoring in the cost of wood (+$30 for ironwood handle, +$25 for koa, etc).

There will also be a surcharge for on oversize gyuto, 275mm on the edge or larger, as those typically take more time and effort to grind an finish (per inch of lengh) than sizes below that.

M

Latest posts

Back